Accuweather predicts cold snowy winter for the upper Midwest

Weather & Road Conditions discussion forum to from and around, Mammoth Lakes, June, Bishop and the surrounding areas.

Accuweather predicts cold snowy winter for the upper Midwest

Postby SurfnSnowboard » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:03 pm

(Reuters) - Private forecaster Accuweather.com said on Wednesday that heavy snow and extreme cold should be expected in the north central United States, especially in the Chicago area, in the coming winter.

The East Coast faces average to slightly above average snowfall during the winter of 2011-2012 as a Pacific La Nina again drives weather patterns across the United States.

"People in Chicago are going to want to move after this winter," Accuweather Long-Range Meteorologist Josh Nagelberg said in a statement.

Accuweather's forecast projects Chicago will again be hit by extreme cold weather and several blizzards, as it endured last winter when more than 50 inches fell on the city including a single storm that dropped 20 inches.

Severe cold and heavy snow should expected from the Great Lakes across the Midwest and northern plains states, according to Accuweather.

http://news.yahoo.com/accuweather-forec ... 27335.html

No surprise really, they are just predicting typical La Nina winter conditions for most of the US.

Check out the unusually cold SSTs up in the GOA:

I'm really curious as to what impact that cold pool will have on our storms this winter and also how the contrasting warm pool to the west will fuel those winter storms - or not. Maybe this unseasonably cold early storm is a sign of things to come and a result of that cold water.
It has to snow again eventually...right???
SurfnSnowboard
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Re: Accuweather predicts cold snowy winter for the upper Midwest

Postby cheapski » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:19 pm

I see that warm pool fueling the East Asian jet to give us more storms like last Dec.
Come for the weather, stay for the drama, eat the bacon
cheapski
Rodger's Ridge

Postby 2NAKLLR » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Grandma's in for it, in W MI. 100yd, unpaved driveway. But she claims "it's never as bad as it used to be," after living in the same house for over 60yrs.
I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with, isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to yoooouuu.
2NAKLLR
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby The-Dweeber » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:36 am

I have been getting more concerned with the warm pool forming off the west coast. Warm pools are usually associated with higher pressure aloft in the winter and would tend to weaken west coast trofs and may tend to split them or weaken them. This warm pool was not there last fall winter.
The-Dweeber
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Return to Weather, Snow & Road Conditions