Early Spring

Weather & Road Conditions discussion forum to from and around, Mammoth Lakes, June, Bishop and the surrounding areas.

Early Spring

Postby windyscotty » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:27 pm

I just really love to mess with all you people who think there has to be a storm to be happy.

Guess what? Mr. Natural says the flies are out and the lizards are out darting around eating them in Bishop. Not only that but the ants are out of their holes in the ground. I expect to see a wildflower any day now.

Will keep you posted after suffering from excessive heat. I don't know how anybody can live down here. It is just pure hell!
windyscotty
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Re: Early Spring

Postby Washoe Zephyr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Windy , this is what we need........

Top o Nstar looking at Lake Tahoe, Dollar Point. With fresh dumpage all the way to lake level....

On a morning from a Bogart movie
In a country where they turn back time
You go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre
Contemplating a crime.......In the year of the Cat....Al Stewart
Washoe Zephyr
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby gowithapro2009 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:21 pm

I have a picture on that run! Look after 6+ weeks with a broken arm and 12 weeks of PT to Look forward too, I am okay with an early spring. Ho Hmmmmmm
... You have to have a real love of your sport to carry you through all the bad times, you still want to ski even when things aren't working. You must have a commitment to work hard and to never give up. - Nancy Greene
gowithapro2009
Climax
Climax

Postby Sierra Lady » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 pm

WS, lizards, ants and wildflowers need water, too ya know. :!: ;)
Carry chains! :idea:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/
Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby gowithapro2009 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:43 pm

I know. I am hoping that I get a trip to Mammoth for some spring skiing. (I have 12 weeks of PT before he will release me to ski)
... You have to have a real love of your sport to carry you through all the bad times, you still want to ski even when things aren't working. You must have a commitment to work hard and to never give up. - Nancy Greene
gowithapro2009
Climax
Climax

Postby TheSnowman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:19 am

Sure we need water, but live for the day and stopping worrying about it.
Off to Never Land....
TheSnowman
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby Washoe Zephyr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:31 am

Get well soon GWAP--I have more pics like that to whet your appetite...

Snowman, I am in the water business, so I tell my boss on every ski trip that I conducting snow surveys and that I will be adding the trips as overtime on my time cards. As of yet, it has not worked. :cry:
On a morning from a Bogart movie
In a country where they turn back time
You go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre
Contemplating a crime.......In the year of the Cat....Al Stewart
Washoe Zephyr
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby SnowHeart » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:43 am

I saw a bee yesterday in June Lake.
SnowHeart
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby Sierra Lady » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:21 am

TheSnowman wrote:Sure we need water, but live for the day and stopping worrying about it.

Oh lighten up SM. I'm not losing any sleep over us not getting any big storms in January, but concerned for our state as a whole. When I moved here 30 years ago I certainly don't recall very many 50°non-snow days in January! Climate has changed.

From SG's 2001 "Snow Perspective":

This range produces more than half the water used in California, which is the number one agricultural state. California grows 1/2 the fruits and vegetables consumed in the U.S., and many crops not grown anywhere else in the country (almonds, raisins, olives, etc.). The Sierra’s runoff also supplies the major cities of California with water, especially Los Angeles, which is one of the major financial centers of the world, and the most important banking center for the entire Pacific region of the world.
Carry chains! :idea:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/
Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby SkierBob » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:59 am

We need all the water we can get

Spring is in the air and I like it.

We'll see what Punxsutawney Phil has to say about it in the morning.
SkierBob
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby windyscotty » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:53 pm

I don't care what that little pissy rodent has to say. He is back East anyway where the reverse is always in effect. Of course they will say six more weeks of winter.

It matters not what happens in Bishop. What matters is what happens in them thar hills.

The plants and critters have adapted to little water in these desert regions. Sometimes, wildflowers are only every ten years. Where do the little critters get their moisture in Death Valley? What about the rabbits who live their whole lives never seeing water except rain and melting snow.

Several years ago the entire ground was covered with plants growing at this time of year. Anything can happen.

I would really be surprised if more storms did not materialize.

In the meantime I do not hear anybody complaining about the conditions. I think they are really enjoying the abundant sunshine. It is kind of glorious if you know what I mean. One day at a time...

Snowheart, That bee you saw in June Lake was headed for the buds.
windyscotty
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby Snowave » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Punxsutawney Phil is a rat!
Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby MountainNut » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Snowave wrote:Punxsutawney Phil is a rat!

You're a rat.

I love Puxsutawney Phil.

Ignore the fools here, little bro-ro(dent)!
““The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government.” - Thomas Jefferson
MountainNut
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Going deep inside the Kremlin ... KGB-plotting with Vladimir Puntang..

Postby theHighwayman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:30 pm

Bill Murry rocks! :rock:
it is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that we cannot sincerely help another without helping ourselves in the bargain
http://www.chainsbysnowbird.com
theHighwayman
Climax
Climax

Postby MountainNut » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:00 pm

““The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government.” - Thomas Jefferson
MountainNut
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Going deep inside the Kremlin ... KGB-plotting with Vladimir Puntang..

Next

Return to Weather, Snow & Road Conditions