February Stormssss

Weather & Road Conditions discussion forum to from and around, Mammoth Lakes, June, Bishop and the surrounding areas.

February Stormssss

Postby AndDee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:20 am

Well January is nearly over, with 24 inches of new snow recorded :swear:

Only 7 other years in the past 40 have had less than 24 inches fall in January

Only one year of those went on to have a good February and that was 2006-07 with 11 inches in Jan and 100 in Feb

That aside, February is looking good to me on the charts with everything moving to the correct position

Feb 5-9th has been looking good for a few weeks for a foot or three :rofl:
AndDee
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Re: February Stormssss

Postby TheSnowman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 am

I have not had one bad day skiing in January, all of them the best day ever... :clap:
Off to Never Land....
TheSnowman
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby maxpower88 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 am

^^nice^^

I skied over 25 DEEP powder days in January, best month ever.
"How would I describe myself? Three words: hard working, alpha male, jackhammer…merciless…insatiable…"
maxpower88
Climax
Climax

Postby oldskier » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:21 pm

It's starting to look like the early Feb storms are getting past the fantasy period. But they also look warm, especially at the start. Hopefully Mammoth's high elevation will keep it snow on the mountain.
oldskier
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby Jbaysurfer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:50 pm

I'm going on record for the first page. Everyone of you except Max will want to help me remember this:

I must NEVER start another Stormssss thread. I accept full responsibility for that month of no snow..and I take full credit for all your Powder Days Max! :P

Edit...(after reading snowman's post too)maybe it just sucked for me because I'm injured. Either way really...it's best to leave this Stormssss threads to the X-perts.
Biker395 wrote:All I can say is that I view the person who founded and grew the company as a hero, and the person that bought it and tore it down as a parasite. And I say that as an avowed capitalist.
Jbaysurfer
Climax
Climax

Postby hkyfsh » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:58 pm

And well EARNED powder days in January.
hkyfsh
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby oldskier » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Jbaysurfer wrote:I must NEVER start another Stormssss thread. I accept full responsibility for that month of no snow.
I seem to remember starting the December 2010 stormssssssssssssss thread and then the March 2011 Stormssssss thread. Feeling rather successful after those two I started the December 2011 thread. I guess it wasn't bad if you averaged all the threads together but I also vowed to never start another stormssss thread. Never say never. Starting a stormssss thread can have fickle luck, just like the California winter weather tends to be the fickle. Even average years are rarely average in the month to month adventures. I think that there is great fear about starting stormssss threads because Cheapski seems to have mostly abandoned us, the pros haven't stooped low enough to start one (calling you out Howard ; ), and now, a mere 4 days before the end of the month with storms brewing in the long-term, someone from down under has to do it! (we love you AndDee). So do it again Jbaysurfer - maybe you will "average out" your stormssss threads too.
oldskier
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby Jbaysurfer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 pm

oldskier wrote:
Jbaysurfer wrote:I must NEVER start another Stormssss thread. I accept full responsibility for that month of no snow.
I seem to remember starting the December 2010 stormssssssssssssss thread and then the March 2011 Stormssssss thread. Feeling rather successful after those two I started the December 2011 thread. I guess it wasn't bad if you averaged all the threads together but I also vowed to never start another stormssss thread. Never say never. Starting a stormssss thread can have fickle luck, just like the California winter weather tends to be the fickle. Even average years are rarely average in the month to month adventures. I think that there is great fear about starting stormssss threads because Cheapski seems to have mostly abandoned us, the pros haven't stooped low enough to start one (calling you out Howard ; ), and now, a mere 4 days before the end of the month with storms brewing in the long-term, someone from down under has to do it! (we love you AndDee). So do it again Jbaysurfer - maybe you will "average out" your stormssss threads too.

LOL...thanks for the vote of confidence OS. I'm once bitten twice shy right now, but I'll stay open minded in the future. Cheapski did abandon us didn't she? I see her all the time carousing with that shady Socal Weather crowd!
Biker395 wrote:All I can say is that I view the person who founded and grew the company as a hero, and the person that bought it and tore it down as a parasite. And I say that as an avowed capitalist.
Jbaysurfer
Climax
Climax

Postby 2NAKLLR » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 pm

Hey if those ULs keep ducking into the bight and down to Baja, it's an interesting new normal and a compelling draw.
Bit too warm for Winter, though.
I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with, isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to yoooouuu.
2NAKLLR
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby AndDee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:20 am

oldskier wrote:a mere 4 days before the end of the month with storms brewing in the long-term, someone from down under has to do it! (we love you AndDee). So do it again Jbaysurfer - maybe you will "average out" your stormssss threads too.

Well I got sick of waiting for the regulars to start the thread.... So I had too

Feb is looking good to me!
AndDee
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby SurfnSnowboard » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 pm

Hmmm what's this?

It has to snow again eventually...right???
SurfnSnowboard
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby cheapski » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:42 am

Jbaysurfer wrote:Cheapski did abandon us didn't she? I see her all the time carousing with that shady Socal Weather crowd!

I admit it. I was bored last year.

To set the record straight, I felt a few years ago I was starting all the wx threads so I like to have other people SHOW THEIR ENTHUSIASM by stepping up to the plate.
Come for the weather, stay for the drama, eat the bacon
cheapski
Rodger's Ridge

Postby theHighwayman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:37 am

i lost my "balls" [ the weather forecastin ones, remember? ] when I changed out my old Franklin for my restored "airtite"

but

i gotta admit

while I miss them "balls" [ and their astoundin weather forecastin abilities :lol: ] i shure LOVE my airtite's ability to keep our "cabin" warm all nite w jist two logs aburnin low :clap:

it is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that we cannot sincerely help another without helping ourselves in the bargain
http://www.chainsbysnowbird.com
theHighwayman
Climax
Climax

Postby Jbaysurfer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:51 am

cheapski wrote:
Jbaysurfer wrote:Cheapski did abandon us didn't she? I see her all the time carousing with that shady Socal Weather crowd!

I admit it. I was bored last year.

To set the record straight, I felt a few years ago I was starting all the wx threads so I like to have other people SHOW THEIR ENTHUSIASM by stepping up to the plate.

Yeah, I think a lot of us were bored last year. I usually host a big split fest on the eastside every spring but I cancelled it last year for the same reason. Seems you've created a market for the stormssss threads though, several of us have been chomping at the bit to start them this year. Too bad mine was an epic fail.

I have been following you guys a bit on that Socal Thread though..the pattern this year so far in socal has indeed been interesting.
Jbaysurfer
Climax
Climax

Postby cheapski » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Yes the Stormssss thread franchise is healthy except for the PNW branch but I fault the manager Snowave.

Jan. traditionally has that thaw period so dont feel bad. Its why I used to not seriously plan to come up before the end of the month.
Come for the weather, stay for the drama, eat the bacon
cheapski
Rodger's Ridge

Next

Return to Weather, Snow & Road Conditions