January Cold Temperature Thread

Weather & Road Conditions discussion forum to from and around, Mammoth Lakes, June, Bishop and the surrounding areas.

Re: January Cold Temperature Thread

Postby RatherBeSkiing » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Sierra Lady wrote:2.1* here at our place at 8:00 this morning...brrrrrrrrr!

My car indicated it was 0* at 8:00 a.m. when I was pulling out of your driveway yesterday SL. Indicated 1* at Crowley Lake around 11:15 a.m. Almost seemed like it should have felt "hot" when I got down to the valley floor and it was reading in the 30's. Over the weekend, it felt warmer on top of the mountain compared to mid-mountain.
WORK WHENEVER, SKI FOREVER! -- Live Like Lloyd :)

Mammoth Town Council votes to approve the TBID, which is going to tax a tourist when he visits town, then use the proceeds from the tax to encourage him to come back and visit again? :D
RatherBeSkiing
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Postby Sierra Lady » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:47 pm

^ Heh...it warmed up 2* just after you left! :D

-27 in Bodie yesterday morning. :o

I kept my coat on while shopping at Vons this afternoon and I never do that. SG was with me, took off his jacket and was in his t-shirt and people in the store were staring at him! He's always been that way when it's cold and rarely wears long-sleeved shirts. You saw him inside our condo all weekend in short sleeves while you and I were bundled up!

It's a balmy 23F right now...a veritable heat wave!! :rofl: Warming up into the 40's later this week.
Carry chains! :idea:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/
Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby Biker395 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Brodie [ :lol: ] averages has more days below freezing than anywhere in the US.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-E ... oldest.php
There is wisdom in collective stupidity. - Biker395

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com
Biker395
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Postby onegoodturn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:40 pm

Can ghosts get frost bite???

My pipes are still not right here. I can't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time. Hope the warmer weather changes all that.
onegoodturnImagedeserves another
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby SurfnSnowboard » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Instead of the normal "January Thaw" we've had the "January Deep Freeze".

Will it ever snow again? :P
It has to snow again eventually...right???
SurfnSnowboard
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby MountainNut » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 pm

I've basically chickened out on any nighttime bike riding the last few nites (went walking/running, tho).

Too cold to ride for any sort of fun when it's dark and 32F-35F degrees (w/DOUBLE windchill). No thanks, I'm no longer a crazy high-metabolism teenager I guess..

Did ride yesterday (late afternoon) with thin gloves on, and still had somewhat numb fingers when I finished up 2 hours later. Guess it looks like ski gloves when it's this cold out there. The lack of sunshine and the wind itself and also the chill of bike riding into a fierce (15-20 mph) north wind is not alot of fun.

That said, I'd still rather ride in 20F-30F (no wind) conditions than ride in 105F temps. At least you can increase your layering in the cold. You can only shed so many clothes on a bicycle in that August/July heat!

Stay safe and warm everyone. Warmer days to come this week!

You could be living in North Dakota, Minnesota, Montana, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Colorado's mts, or in Alaska!
““The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government.” - Thomas Jefferson
MountainNut
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Going deep inside the Kremlin ... KGB-plotting with Vladimir Puntang..

Postby SurfnSnowboard » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Los Angeles set a record daily low of 34 degrees Fahrenheit (1 degree Celsius) this morning (Jan. 14), the coldest it's been in 22 years, according to the National Weather Service. Water pipes also froze and busted in Las Vegas, where the mercury dropped to nearly 17 F (minus 8 C), according to news reports.

So what's bringing all this chilly air to the area?

The low temperatures are due to an extremely cold, dry mass of air originating off the Arctic sea ice in the Canadian Arctic, said Jeff Weber, a scientist with the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo. This mass of air has been pushed southward by a warmer, high-pressure system that moved north and east toward Alaska from the Pacific, Weber told OurAmazingPlanet. This helps explain why it's unseasonably warm in Alaska, while Angelinos are searching for sweaters. [The World's Weirdest Weather]

This flip-flopping of hot and cold is caused by a buckling of the jet stream, the current of air that normally ferries air in a relatively straight line from west to east across the United States and out into the Atlantic Ocean. However, due to higher-than-usual temperatures near Greenland, the stream is backed up. This heat and associated high pressure have slowed down the North Atlantic Oscillation, a climate pattern that pulls weather patterns eastward across the country.

http://www.livescience.com/26260-record ... ained.html

I'm not quite sure how it was "nearly 17" degrees in Las Vegas. So was it 18?
It has to snow again eventually...right???
SurfnSnowboard
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby moser » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:01 am

Been getting in the upper 20s at my house that's a mile or so inland here in sd. It's been cold enough for me to break and turn on the central heating. My roommates want to be stubborn and continue to bundle up but below freezing is enough for me to pay up. Tonight I had 31 when I got home from work just now
“Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others!”
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me -- no matter how dumb my suggestions are."
moser
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby Biker395 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 am

MountainNut wrote:I've basically chickened out on any nighttime bike riding the last few nites (went walking/running, tho).

Too cold to ride for any sort of fun when it's dark and 32F-35F degrees (w/DOUBLE windchill). No thanks, I'm no longer a crazy high-metabolism teenager I guess..

Did ride yesterday (late afternoon) with thin gloves on, and still had somewhat numb fingers when I finished up 2 hours later. Guess it looks like ski gloves when it's this cold out there. The lack of sunshine and the wind itself and also the chill of bike riding into a fierce (15-20 mph) north wind is not alot of fun.

That said, I'd still rather ride in 20F-30F (no wind) conditions than ride in 105F temps. At least you can increase your layering in the cold. You can only shed so many clothes on a bicycle in that August/July heat!

Stay safe and warm everyone. Warmer days to come this week!

You could be living in North Dakota, Minnesota, Montana, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Colorado's mts, or in Alaska!

I rode to work in the dark yesterday ... it was 33F. That's all fine if you have lobster claw gloves, winter shoes and all the right equipment. I don't ... so I improvised. 2 pair of socks and plastic sandwich bags over my toes. Light gloves inside heavier gloves. Multiple layers. And it was still effing cold. So hard to stay warm and dry on a bike in cold weather.

Why not just drive? I have no effing idea. I should see someone about that. I'll say this ... not a lot of company out there on the bike path. I had it to myself. I wonder why? :?:

I actually like hot weather, though. To the point of stupidity, frankly. To wit:

A ride up Highway 39 to Crystal Lake and back. When we got to the East Fork cutoff on the return trip, the thermometers on our cycle computers registered 117. Most everyone called it a day and headed back down to the cars at Encanto. Did I? Hell no. Talked Teresa into riding up to Camp Williams where the thermometer on the wall said it was 116 in the shade, and rode up little GMR to the ridge. With the radiant heat from the road, the thermometer on my bicycle hit 124. Missed that pix, but I got one of it registering 121.

It was all good though ... got a great pix of my pal Teresa resting in the shade.

In retrospect, that was a pretty stupid thing to do. Either of us could have gotten heatstroke. I took a pix of myself while I was waiting for her and my face was beet red.

Whew ... thinking about that day makes me feel warmer already.
There is wisdom in collective stupidity. - Biker395

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com
Biker395
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Postby Sierra Lady » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Yay...the deep freeze is over...for now. Currently a heat wave at our place at 42*. :sun: ^_^

We need snow.
Carry chains! :idea:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/
Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby 2NAKLLR » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:13 pm

SurfnSnowboard wrote:where the mercury dropped to nearly 17 F (minus 8 C)
I'm not quite sure how it was "nearly 17" degrees in Las Vegas.

-8C is 17.6F. On the way down it's still a stretch to "nearly" but it's on its way to 17.

The E has been pretty balmy. They're getting the "thaw". That'll change...
I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with, isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to yoooouuu.
2NAKLLR
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby SkierBob » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:37 pm

In the future I will not go to Mono County when there's single digit and less temps

Great football watching weather from the comfort of a heated living room. However without running water it's way to much like camping. It was so cold the diesel fuel in my F250 gelled, that’s a first for me.

It's good to be home 8-)
SkierBob
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby onegoodturn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:57 pm

SkierBob wrote:
It was so cold the diesel fuel in my F250 gelled, that’s a first for me.

I heard that in places up in the Great White North the truckers will keep their diesels running all winter long.

Kitchen facuet is running full bore now. The bathroom sink has doulbed the trickle from yesterday. 46F in June right now.

Went to sleep at midnight and woke up at 1am, 2am, 3:30am and 5am to add wood to the fire. Gonna need more wood before the winter's over. Malolo, can you fill up your truck with that nice Ecualyptus before you come up this weekend?
onegoodturnImagedeserves another
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby windyscotty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:52 pm

What a bunch of pussies! I am glad I lived in Alaska so I can say that. Vehicles do not start up there unless you heat the water, oil or all of the above. And you have to use liquid heat to add to the fuel so it doesn't condensate in the tank.

And you need to keep your tank filled up. And...
windyscotty
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby Corporatedog » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:39 pm

I heard Alaskans were so core that they actually drive their trucks into the house where they and their 14 dogs sleep on the hood all night just to keep the engine warm.

(Alaskan houses are just big garages anyway...who else keeps a Snowmobile in their living room)
"The more it snows, the more it goes, the more it goes on snowing" - W.T.Pooh
Corporatedog
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

PreviousNext

Return to Weather, Snow & Road Conditions