PSA - there's lot of new snow in Big Bear - go get sum

Weather & Road Conditions discussion forum to from and around, Mammoth Lakes, June, Bishop and the surrounding areas.

PSA - there's lot of new snow in Big Bear - go get sum

Postby calisnow » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:45 am

I enjoyed the 9-10 hour #2 show coming down from Big Bear, and now that it's almost 4 a.m. I'm too tired to go back. But it was snowing almost the whole time. I don't know how much is falling on the ski hills, but Slide Peak at Snow Valley is gonna be buttery sweet in the morning for anyone who has the energy to get up there and make some early turns.
calisnow
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Re: PSA - there's lot of new snow in Big Bear - go get sum

Postby Stephen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:33 am

Wind hold on SP. Bet it doesn't open.
Stephen
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby Photoho » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:56 am

what is SP ?
Photoho
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby Stephen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:23 am

Slide Peak at Snow Valley. Wind is always mucking it up for Snow Valley's best terrain.
Stephen
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby mspamelablythe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Stephen wrote:Slide Peak at Snow Valley.

For 20+ years I thought it was Sly Peak, and I lived up there and that was my home hill!!

Cheapski set me straight last year. Thank goodness.
"Just a bunch of newbie GFS goupies commenting on how fantasyland is looking good..." - SlashTurn
mspamelablythe
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Somewhere between Outpost 14 and Hash House a Go Go...

Postby cheapski » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:36 pm

That was a good day, topped off with even better coffee cake.

The best time to go local is after the usual cold inside slider comes down the first week of March (I swear this happens every year) and drops about a foot of powder. By that time the newbies are not even thinking of snow sports anymore and the days are longer so its great up there.
Come for the weather, stay for the drama, eat the bacon
cheapski
Rodger's Ridge

Postby mspamelablythe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:53 pm

cheapski wrote:That was a good day, topped off with even better coffee cake.

The best time to go local is after the usual cold inside slider comes down the first week of March (I swear this happens every year) and drops about a foot of powder. By that time the newbies are not even thinking of snow sports anymore and the days are longer so its great up there.

Let me know when you're ready for round 2....
"Just a bunch of newbie GFS goupies commenting on how fantasyland is looking good..." - SlashTurn
mspamelablythe
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Somewhere between Outpost 14 and Hash House a Go Go...

Postby onegoodturn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:59 pm

cheapski wrote:That was a good day, topped off with even better coffee cake.

I hope you got it Cheaps, I was thinking of you at SV today as I was skinning up to by elusive destinations.
onegoodturnImagedeserves another
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby xeren » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 am

calisnow wrote:I enjoyed the 9-10 hour #2 show coming down from Big Bear, and now that it's almost 4 a.m. I'm too tired to go back. But it was snowing almost the whole time. I don't know how much is falling on the ski hills, but Slide Peak at Snow Valley is gonna be buttery sweet in the morning for anyone who has the energy to get up there and make some early turns.

yikes! i've done the 14 hour drive back from tahoe when they closed the grapevine during the last good la nina year (the CHP was turning everyone around, despite me holding up my set of chains and yelling that i had all-wheel drive), but never anything that bad from big bear.

i read in one of your other comments that they closed one of the roads- why did they do that? they didn't get that much snow, did they?

I guess i've probably been lucky so far, but i always get to big bear before open and leave a couple hours early to avoid the traffic. most of that brahs can't seem to wake up before 10am.
xeren
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Return to Weather, Snow & Road Conditions