SnoCal January - Its Snowtime

Weather & Road Conditions discussion forum to from and around, Mammoth Lakes, June, Bishop and the surrounding areas.

Re: SnoCal January - Its Snowtime

Postby MountainNut » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Baldy has a little new snowfall showing on the trees there today from last night. At 12 noon, it's not very crowded though on the HSQ showing on the cam. But lots of base snow on the slopes!
“If there was ever a man who would fit the stereotype of the Judeo-plutocratic Bolshevik Zionist world conspirator, it is me..” - Gyorgy Schwartz
MountainNut
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Going deep inside the Kremlin ... KGB-plotting with Vladimir Puntang..

Postby SurfnSnowboard » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Pretty impressive storm totals considering the trajectories and dry air mass when the storm hit. SD officially received 0.96" matching or exceeding most locations in OC. That also exceeds many mountain areas which is VERY unusual. But that's what happens when the storm is out of the south/southwest and the orographics don't come into play. The seasonal rain deficit is now just under 1/2".
It has to snow again eventually...right???
SurfnSnowboard
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby 2NAKLLR » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:39 pm

An inch of rain is pretty good for Downtown [SD].
I'm gonna take my 3/4" of slow soaking rain and hit the trails. Still >2.00" low.

Coldest it's been since the rain started, now. Cold breeze and fog herE in S OC.
I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with, isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to yoooouuu.
2NAKLLR
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby xeren » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:40 pm

MountainNut wrote:Image

Baldy has a little new snowfall showing on the trees there today from last night. At 12 noon, it's not very crowded though on the HSQ showing on the cam. But lots of base snow on the slopes!

har har. yes i would take mt baldy, canada over mt. baldy, california any day. stuck in los angeles though
xeren
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby MountainNut » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:22 pm

xeren wrote:
MountainNut wrote:Image

har har. yes i would take mt baldy, canada over mt. baldy, california any day. stuck in los angeles though

:D LOL

I think this joke plays out better in early-mid November tho ... when there may be warm dry Santa Anas blowin' in SoCal, but there's 1'-2' of early-season snow on the more northerly version of 'Baldy'...
“If there was ever a man who would fit the stereotype of the Judeo-plutocratic Bolshevik Zionist world conspirator, it is me..” - Gyorgy Schwartz
MountainNut
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Going deep inside the Kremlin ... KGB-plotting with Vladimir Puntang..

Postby SurfnSnowboard » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:33 am

It's not showing up on the radar but it's raining again down HeRE in SD. Just a light rain or heavy drizzle not quite sure the difference :rofl:
It has to snow again eventually...right???
SurfnSnowboard
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby Spirit Tree » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:28 am

This came up for the Santa Ana rADAR

hAD .04" during the night with torrential mist. Then around 6AM the heavens opened up with heavy downpour for few minutes... Couldn't find it on radar, finally found that cell. Maybe they are all sporadically being shut and maintained after being put to use after the storms...doubt it, but theories are always entertaining.
Courage is the mastery of fear; not the absence of fear.
Mark Twain
Spirit Tree
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby Stephen » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:16 am

OK, I am sick of this Seattle s*** Big drops or just come back in June.
Stephen
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby 2NAKLLR » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:33 am

Stephen wrote:OK, I am sick of this Seattle s*** Big drops or just come back in June.

Don't knock it, I got another 0.15" of Seattle $hit since yesterday.
I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with, isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to yoooouuu.
2NAKLLR
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby Snowave » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:56 pm

daily rainfall record....

1/16/13 Borrego 0.59

old record- 0.52 in 1969 and 1942

Seattle #2... heh.
Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby cheapski » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:42 pm

RADAR FAIL

Moderate tstorm in progress up HERE
Come for the weather, stay for the drama, eat the bacon
cheapski
Rodger's Ridge

Postby snowtrekker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Looks like we'll have to go with the satellite on this one. VIS is showing a line of bubbly-looking clouds near the LA, Ventura border, with more popping up over the western San Gabriel foothills. That's probably what you're seeing, Cheaps. Skies are clear to my south, but much darker to the north and west.
“Oh, yeah, you are going to get nailed.” - Meteorologist Dawn Fishler

"Fishing season starts soon and the ice should be gone and the snow should recede. If it hasn’t, just go skiing." - Dave McCoy
snowtrekker
Climax
Climax

Postby cheapski » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:00 pm

It was partly sunny this morning and had been getting darker and darker thru the afternoon. What surprises me about the VIS is the flow doesnt look favorable since its parallel to the SGs. Nevertheless its just now winding down. Never got any T&L but there was small hail mixed in with the rain and its much colder.
cheapski
Rodger's Ridge

Postby Spirit Tree » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 pm

NOUS66 KLOX 262206
FTMSOX
Message Date: Jan 26 2013 22:06:24

KSOX RADAR WILL BE DOWN UNTIL MIDDAY TUESDAY, 1/29/2013, FOR TECHS ARE UNABLE TO
GAIN ACCESS TO THE SITE. MEYERS. 1/26/2013 @ 2206 GMT

snowtrekker wrote:Looks like we'll have to go with the satellite on this one. VIS is showing a line of bubbly-looking clouds near the LA, Ventura border, with more popping up over the western San Gabriel foothills. That's probably what you're seeing, Cheaps. Skies are clear to my south, but much darker to the north and west.

Saw those clouds on the way back from Ventura into SFV with some heavy rain this afternoon. Bubbly looking was a very good description. Coast was clear and windy...
Courage is the mastery of fear; not the absence of fear.
Mark Twain
Spirit Tree
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby cheapski » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:19 pm

The temp. dropped like a rock! According to my local WeatherBug station (which is pretty accurate) its 45° right now.
cheapski
Rodger's Ridge

PreviousNext

Return to Weather, Snow & Road Conditions