December Stormssssss

Weather & Road Conditions discussion forum to from and around, Mammoth Lakes, June, Bishop and the surrounding areas.

Re: December Stormssssss

Postby Photoho » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:44 am

This is just what the town and mountain need right now . Just be careful and remember that this may be their only trip to the snow for the year and don't have any winter experience .
Photoho
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby CyberK » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:00 am

onegoodturn wrote:For you (mostly of out of towners to boot) that think these frame grabs are funny please put yourself in their shoes for a moment. How would you feel getting stuck in that mess with your family while trying to get your chains put on?

These are people coming to Mammoth for a vacation and are going to spend money in town and on the hill. We should embrace them and help them out anyway we can.

I wish everyone in those pictures blue bird days and the most awesome meals and service at the local restaurants.

Come to June and mention OGT in the Tiger and get a drink on me....

Please understand, I was not specifically bagging on them. I was trying to point out that the way they are parking on 203 is
dangerous. Tourons or not, pull way off the road to avoid anything unfortunate.
CyberK
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby onegoodturn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:22 am

I wasn't directing my post at you CK. A few people seemed to think those frame grabs were funny. As a long time professional driver I didn't see the humor there. Plus a couple of weeks ago I had a scary incident on the 395 between Mammoth and June.
onegoodturnImagedeserves another
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby mspamelablythe » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:36 am

onegoodturn wrote:I wasn't directing my post at you CK. A few people seemed to think those frame grabs were funny. As a long time professional driver I didn't see the humor there. Plus a couple of weeks ago I had a scary incident on the 395 between Mammoth and June.

I take back my giggle, though I'd like to clarify that it was in based on how they were parked, not what they were going through. Having lived in the mountains for over a decade I'd seen that sight countless times, but never parked like that.
"Just a bunch of newbie GFS goupies commenting on how fantasyland is looking good..." - SlashTurn
mspamelablythe
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Somewhere between Outpost 14 and Hash House a Go Go...

Postby SlashTurn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:20 pm

WEATHER THREAD!

Tuna please throw up a WV loop to let people know the deal. We've got a fun cut off low to track this weekend...
Be alert. Keep calm. Think clearly. Act decisively.
SlashTurn
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby 2NAKLLR » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Loop? Did someone say loop?
I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with, isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to yoooouuu.
2NAKLLR
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby RatherBeSkiing » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:33 pm

WORK WHENEVER, SKI FOREVER! -- Live Like Lloyd :)

Mammoth Town Council votes to approve the TBID, which is going to tax a tourist when he visits town, then use the proceeds from the tax to encourage him to come back and visit again? :D
RatherBeSkiing
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Postby SlashTurn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:38 pm

^perfect.
SlashTurn
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby OzzyBuckeyeBluechip » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Photoho wrote:This is just what the town and mountain need right now . Just be careful and remember that this may be their only trip to the snow for the year and don't have any winter experience .

Today couldn't have been a more perfect day for MMSA! The weather was ideal, the snow was amazing, and the thousands of "tourons" (not my term...) had to have had a great time. Congrats to MMSA for having their stars align. This will definitely bring folks back for repeat trips in early 2013!

OK, now back to the weather...
What am I on? I'm on my bike for 8 hours a day. That's what I'm on! Lance Armstrong
OzzyBuckeyeBluechip
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby oldskier » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:04 pm

can't, the models are screwed up - at least for those of us that use the web to look at them.... I'm in withdrawals :(
oldskier
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby SurfnSnowboard » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:22 pm

oldskier wrote:can't, the models are screwed up - at least for those of us that use the web to look at them.... I'm in withdrawals :(

Hopefully that gets fixed soon!

In the mean time there's the Euro and it's just showing a high pressure ridge bringing Mammoth beautiful blue skies and perfect mid-winter conditions for the next week after this little coast hugger moves out.
It has to snow again eventually...right???
SurfnSnowboard
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby SlashTurn » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:29 pm

dweeber/snowman/WG,

any take on the current MJO and its projected path to phases 5 & 6? In a +PNA can this be a good thing?
SlashTurn
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby SurfnSnowboard » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:09 pm

The GFS is back. It shows a continued wet period through the first week of January but no major storms. Looks like the January thaw will come later if it comes.
It has to snow again eventually...right???
SurfnSnowboard
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby TheSnowman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:13 pm

I am ordering a new snow blower in the morning... that should jinks us till that first comet shows up in March. :shock:
Off to Never Land....
TheSnowman
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby Sierra Lady » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:21 pm

Just in case anyone wants to know, it's snowing again. :clap:

Listening to Caltrans on the scanner and some chain signs are already being flipped to R1.
Carry chains! :idea:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/
Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Previous

Return to Weather, Snow & Road Conditions