So-Cal snow conditions

Weather & Road Conditions discussion forum to from and around, Mammoth Lakes, June, Bishop and the surrounding areas.

Postby ShiftyRider » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:52 am

On Facebook he claimed to have some missiles. Also advocates for gun control with a Mia Farrow quote. Thanks everybody on TV except Mister Ed, then gives a bicycle safety tip. This is all in one message, no kidding.

Wassup with you Facebook people?
ShiftyRider
Climax
Climax

Re: So-Cal snow conditions

Postby Freerider » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:39 am

it,s dumping in BB ! gonna be a fun and long day and night of storm riding
Freerider
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby longlivechair19 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:46 am

^ what are the roads like up there in BB?
:pizza: :beer:
longlivechair19
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Postby Freerider » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:24 am

clear by now , fri and sat were chains or 4 wheel drive.
Freerider
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby snowtrekker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:13 pm

Anyone know how much terrain is actually open at Baldy? Their reports have stopped being so specific.
“Oh, yeah, you are going to get nailed.” - Meteorologist Dawn Fishler

"Fishing season starts soon and the ice should be gone and the snow should recede. If it hasn’t, just go skiing." - Dave McCoy
snowtrekker
Climax
Climax

Postby 0LI » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:49 pm

snowtrekker wrote:Anyone know how much terrain is actually open at Baldy? Their reports have stopped being so specific.

chair 2:
Gulch
chair 3:
Toilet Bowl, Fireroad, Bonanza
Shortcut/Robins
"Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." - Warren Miller
0LI
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby snowtrekker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 pm

0LI wrote:
snowtrekker wrote:Anyone know how much terrain is actually open at Baldy? Their reports have stopped being so specific.

chair 2:
Gulch
chair 3:
Toilet Bowl, Fireroad, Bonanza
Shortcut/Robins

Thanks. I imagine they'd have advertised it more if they managed to get more terrain open.
“Oh, yeah, you are going to get nailed.” - Meteorologist Dawn Fishler

"Fishing season starts soon and the ice should be gone and the snow should recede. If it hasn’t, just go skiing." - Dave McCoy
snowtrekker
Climax
Climax

Postby Stephen » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:27 pm

This passholder has been checking Baldy's report every day out of habit. I think you are referring to a day, maybe two, when a line of detail was removed, but not much of a mystery.

Terrific conditions at Summit today. I finally decided to try that area under the chairlift between Ego Trip and East Why. Eh.
Stephen
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby SurfnSnowboard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Today was definitely NOT a good day to head up to Big Bear! I can't believe the line of traffic trying to come down the mountain as they hit the checkpoint and get searched. Looks like it will take hours to get down.
It has to snow again eventually...right???
SurfnSnowboard
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby Stephen » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:31 pm

SurfnSnowboard wrote:Today was definitely NOT a good day to head up to Big Bear! I can't believe the line of traffic trying to come down the mountain as they hit the checkpoint and get searched. Looks like it will take hours to get down.

So true. I went Monday for the presumed best conditions of the week. Never considered Tuesday, but still very happy with my choice.
Stephen
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby Freerider » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:27 pm

past couple days in BB firm and fast in the a.m. and very rippable in the afternoon. Very nice groomers.
Freerider
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby Stephen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Freerider wrote:past couple days in BB firm and fast in the a.m. and very rippable in the afternoon. Very nice groomers.

Monday, The Wall was as good as I've ever seen it - which ain't saying a super whole bunch cuz I always miss powder days - but then the north wind really stripped it, especially up top.

I found this small booter just skier's right of East Why, before you had to commit to too much of the area under the lift. My photos of it would not impress but it had deceptive launch potential. I discovered this my first try. Didn't land it but developed a big grin regardless. And I failed the second time, but so fun. The kind of find that keeps a place like Summit worth it.
Stephen
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby Freerider » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:31 am

I know the spot you speak of. I usualy cut out before the booter because the canyon narrows very much at the base and not my cup of tea. Some years back with really good coverage I was able to take it all the way on the high side without dropping into the narrow tracked out canyon. the top half in good coverage pow is super fun but a bit short. This next storm should be perfect for that spot . The coverage looked good yesterday.
Freerider
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby Freerider » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 am

the booter does have lift . I`ve seen the locals doing flips off it.
Freerider
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby Stephen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:03 pm

I made it to Bear today. Took exactly three hours, but I wasn't complaining. Traffic didn't seem too bad, and my Z's are so easy to put on, but chain stop was at 2,000 feet.

Did you go, Free? I got up at 5, pulled up Ben's page and saw 4 inches. That's it? Oh, it was 4 + 4. I cost myself about 5-10 minutes in deliberating whether to go or not, but 5:30 departure is still pretty good for me.

With snow level 5-6,000 feet below, I was a little surprised at how bumpy some of the runs got. Maybe the relative warm up + fog to blame? (32 in town when I left at 4.) Or skier/rider traffic? What was left of the powder off-piste at near close was still pretty good Q for SoCal, but once tracked out, I'd rather ride those long ones after a cat gets on them. So Thu. should be pretty good for that, assuming they are groomed.

The canyons are more or less doable but the exit routes are bony. Well, not just the run outs. It felt kinda like trying to make Baldy runs/lines work on thin cover days. Some riders can make do better than I, obviously, but a lot of rocks, underbrush, tree stubs. All of it. Some of those turns were too good to pass up, though.
Stephen
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

PreviousNext

Return to Weather, Snow & Road Conditions