Chains

Weather & Road Conditions discussion forum to from and around, Mammoth Lakes, June, Bishop and the surrounding areas.

Re: Chains

Postby Rotten » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:47 pm

Thanks for all your help.

Still want to know. Will he need chains?
Rotten
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby xeren » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:56 pm

Rotten wrote:
Thanks for all your help.

Still want to know. Will he need chains?

didn't you read? he can't put chains on a WRX! it's impossible!
xeren
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby ofset » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:40 pm

BS! . . . well sorta.

rallied the 2012 impreza last week through the deep snow. heres a pic i posted from the conditions report thread:

additionally, someone on this forum recommended snow claws, so we grabbed a set when we had the 1997 318ti. never used it on the ti, but now we have them for the subie. there plenty of clearance for these bad boys:

http://www.flextrax.com/
ofset
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby xeren » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:05 pm

ofset wrote:BS! . . . well sorta.

rallied the 2012 impreza last week through the deep snow. heres a pic i posted from the conditions report thread:

additionally, someone on this forum recommended snow claws, so we grabbed a set when we had the 1997 318ti. never used it on the ti, but now we have them for the subie. there plenty of clearance for these bad boys:

http://www.flextrax.com/

it was a joke, at the OP's expense- i (and other people in this thread) have been using chains on their WRXs for years now.
xeren
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby Pointbrk760 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Didn't need them when I left main on 12/2, but I did need a shovel to get out. Definately one of the better snows of the season so far. I left around 2:00 and it was SNOWING, Would have been more comfortable with them on for sure. And probably made it to 395 a lot faster, or maybe not if I considered that time it would have taken to put them on, then take them off 10 miles later. Anyways I'll post again when I actualy have to put them on. Haven't see a Subaru with chains on yet (but some with snow tires). 11 days on the mountain so far...
Pointbrk760
Sesame street
Sesame street

Postby mammro » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi Guys,

If conditions require chains, are there stops on the road where these are available for purchase? If so, what would be an aprox. price for a CUV with 16"-17" wheels? Are the Caltrans road block people selling them, or you need to get them let's say in Bishop?
Is the "snow tires" definition includes "all weather" type of tires that most of these CUV's come with?

TIA.
mammro
Sesame street
Sesame street

Postby PerfectZero » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:26 pm

I've never seen anyone selling them on the roadside, definitely not Caltrans. You'd probably want to get them long before Bishop if it came to that. They're considered snow tires if they have M+S (or some combination of M and S) printed on them, not necessarily every "all weather" tire qualifies.
The higher you get, the higher you get.
PerfectZero
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby mammro » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:01 pm

PerfectZero wrote:I've never seen anyone selling them on the roadside, definitely not Caltrans. You'd probably want to get them long before Bishop if it came to that. They're considered snow tires if they have M+S (or some combination of M and S) printed on them, not necessarily every "all weather" tire qualifies.

Thanks for your reply. The problem is I'm going to rent this CUV, and can't find out about the tire size before leaving => no time to purchase chains in advance. The rental office says "they never heard of people having snow chain issues with the CUV's up in Mammoth in winter" but I kind of doubt that.
mammro
Sesame street
Sesame street

Postby theHighwayman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:46 pm

if you *don't * have them and they're being "required" you kin be real unhappy when ya git turned around for not havin em :geek:

lotsa "snow chains" threads here on this forum to research if yer wishin ;)

annnnd

if yer goin to Mammoth from San Diego -- there's *me* 8-)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/snowbird-tire-chains-el-cajon

I *don't * "rent" -- [ nobody does anymore :( ] they will be a nonreturnable "purchase" BUT -- you could consider them "insurance" :angel: folks have called me from the airport to set appts for fittin their rental vehicles as they arrive

safe journey to ya however ya git there -- :rock:
it is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that we cannot sincerely help another without helping ourselves in the bargain
http://www.chainsbysnowbird.com
theHighwayman
Climax
Climax

Postby Sierra Lady » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 pm

PerfectZero wrote:I've never seen anyone selling them on the roadside, definitely not Caltrans. You'd probably want to get them long before Bishop if it came to that. They're considered snow tires if they have M+S (or some combination of M and S) printed on them, not necessarily every "all weather" tire qualifies.

Neither Caltrans employees nor individually licensed "chain monkeys" are allowed to sell chains. Since the OP is coming up in a rental it would be wise to stop at Kmart in Bishop for the cheapest chains, but most gas stations in Bishop sell them (probably at a higher price) as well.

If you know that chain requirements are in affect upon coming into Mammoth, I highly suggest you try the chains on while you're on dry pavement in a parking lot in Bishop first to make sure you know what you're doing. So you don't get filthy, put a few large garbage bags, an old jacket and old gloves in the car so you have something to lay on and use when putting chains on in the snow. Oh and don't forget a flashlight! :idea:
Carry chains! :idea:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/
Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby Biker395 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Don't do what I do.

There is wisdom in collective stupidity. - Biker395

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com
Biker395
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Postby theHighwayman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Biker395 wrote:Don't do what I do.

>chuckle< :x :o :| :? :lol:
it is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that we cannot sincerely help another without helping ourselves in the bargain
http://www.chainsbysnowbird.com
theHighwayman
Climax
Climax

Postby ShiftyRider » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:49 pm

mammro, all the cops are familiar with rental car contracts and their prohibition of chaining them up, so don't worry about it. I've recently started to "borrow" the barcode slips from whatever car I rent, and tape them to the windows of my own cars. Saves a lot of hassle.

P.S. Select a 4WD or AWD from the aisle if a blizzard is forecast.
ShiftyRider
Climax
Climax

Re:

Postby xeren » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:52 pm

ShiftyRider wrote:mammro, all the cops are familiar with rental car contracts and their prohibition of chaining them up, so don't worry about it. I've recently started to "borrow" the barcode slips from whatever car I rent, and tape them to the windows of my own cars. Saves a lot of hassle.

P.S. Select a 4WD or AWD from the aisle if a blizzard is forecast.

wait, so the cops will let you by w/o chains if you have a rental car?
xeren
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby ShiftyRider » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:05 pm

Yes.
ShiftyRider
Climax
Climax

PreviousNext

Return to Weather, Snow & Road Conditions