Sno's WYdaho thread

Weather & Road Conditions discussion forum to from and around, Mammoth Lakes, June, Bishop and the surrounding areas.

Re: Sno's WA thread (weather, pics, food, fun etc).

Postby Snowave » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:09 pm

This area gets pretty inundated in summer with Seattle-ites looking for sun and our excellent hiking opportunities, which we have plenty of in the summer...Even in winter they all come over to snowmobile/ski/etc.. in the area, but it's not that big of a deal as they're gone during the week. So, that's the one thing I don't care for, still too close to a major metro area (2-3 hrs)... honestly, I've been shocked at how crowded the trails are here in the summer. I think a big part of it is that so many people that live in this part of the country are outdoors people.

We are going to Bend/Mt. Bachelor in 2 weeks for the MLK weekend... only drove thru on our way up, but have always wanted to go there.

Yes, the beer has been disappointing. This area produces something like 90% of the hops in the country. The lady and I are both more ale types. That's where Montana and Idaho come in. We went to brewfest in Missoula this summer.. and hit a many other brewhouse' across the region.

Brewfest in Missoula

They even surfing entertainment at the fest...

Wallace Brewing Co. Idaho..
excellent amber and huckleberry ale

A couple things are for sure about this area though. 1. It is the most beautiful place I've ever lived. 2. The people here are really nice. I have never enjoyed the people I work with more than I do here. :)

Took a sunset snowshoe walk from the house a little while ago. It was wonderful.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 2e1872d3f3
Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby snowtrekker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Yeah, you just don't expect the people up here. Everyone I bring to Montana is always surprised to see other drivers and pedestrians instinctively wave when you pass, rather than bury their faces in their phones. A family friend was looking to buy a car here in Hamilton, MT. When the owner of the dealership found out the secretary (who was the only one who could do all the necessary paperwork) had gone home for the weekend, he offered to let our friend just take the car, then come back in on Monday and finish the paperwork!

As far as NW weather goes, I'm hoping enough moisture makes it over the Cascades to drop a few inches of snow at the two little ski areas up here. Some light flurries today, and temps above 30 for the first time in 10 days.
“Oh, yeah, you are going to get nailed.” - Meteorologist Dawn Fishler

"Fishing season starts soon and the ice should be gone and the snow should recede. If it hasn’t, just go skiing." - Dave McCoy
snowtrekker
Climax
Climax

Postby Snowave » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:30 pm

are you full time in Hamilton, ST? One of our favorite towns in MT, although the Bitterroot Valley is just getting a little too crowded for our taste, and I'd prefer a few more lakes nearby if I were to be picky :) ... I hear the new 4 lane hwy eased traffic alot.

We got another 7-9" overnight (15:1 - 20:1 ratios, so it's super light fluff).. sun is out now.. but more snow, then maybe rain then back to snow... all week. Power went out AGAIN this morning, as all the trees still had a ton of snow on them, have more this morning... snapping onto power lines, etc.
Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby snowtrekker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:46 pm

Just here for 2 weeks. The area has grown a lot, but I'm at the foot of the Bitterroots, away from the subdivisions going up on the valley floor. With the economy the way it is, though, growth has really slowed down, and I've had no traffic issues on the new highway. From what the locals tell me, the south end of the valley (Darby and Conner) are what the north half was like 20-30 years ago. Did you get a chance to visit Lake Como when you were here? Although it's about 50% mudd flats by late August/September, in June and July it's hard to beat, IMO.

What gets me the most is the downsloping effect of the Bitterroots. It's dryer and warmer here than the rest of the region during storms, easing the transition to rain when the storms off the Pacific are dropping snow at the same elevation elsewhere.
“Oh, yeah, you are going to get nailed.” - Meteorologist Dawn Fishler

"Fishing season starts soon and the ice should be gone and the snow should recede. If it hasn’t, just go skiing." - Dave McCoy
snowtrekker
Climax
Climax

Postby Snowave » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Lake Como sounds familiar, but I can't picture it.

Yeah, the Bitterroots are a massive barrier... I was looking at a 3D map just yesterday, and even though I've been in the area several times, I didn't realize how rugged and abrupt the valley is... kinda like a mini Sierra.

Speaking of downsloping winds.. we are getting a the first winds in about a month here.. downsloping off the Cascades. There is a major rain shadow on this side, towards Wenatchee... which btw, is having power outages tonight do the the Chinook type wind.... but I am close enough to the Cascade crest that we get alot of slop over rain and snow, and are not that dry.
Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby Snowave » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:19 am

war games on Hwy 2 near Stevens Pass about a week or so ago... (avalanche control with tanks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZLfboCceGA

Headed to Bend, OR (Bachelor) this afternoon for a long weekend. Looking forward to near 50 temps, plenty of BEER and SUN all weekend! Bringing my bikini and a growler for sure. :shock:

We're trapped in inversion hell again up here.. Valleys are foggy and in the teens and 20's and the ski areas sunny, and in the 40's and low 50's!

Pasayten wilderness Cam this morning, to the north of here...

Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby 2NAKLLR » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:26 pm

You're inverted.

What's your local precipitation % of normal right now? Is it wet-dry-normal?
Pretty dry in SoCal and looks dry till FEB! jinx
I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with, isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to yoooouuu.
2NAKLLR
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby MountainNut » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Just another dry Junuary I'd say..

Like usual.

Best month to get a tan outside is usually Junuary!

Hey, it could be worse ... we could be stuck in Plain, WA or the like in the PNW!

[Wish we had this kind of cooler weather in the Summer months, though!]
"If the Americans like to eat GMO products, let them eat it then. We don’t need to do that; we have enough space and opportunities to produce organic food.” - Russian PM Medvedev
MountainNut
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Going deep inside the Kremlin ... KGB-plotting with Vladimir Puntang..

Postby Snowave » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:58 pm

I am inverted sometimes.. but hey, the sun came out today... so not sure what that makes me now. :?

just about everyone is at or above avg... at the end of Dec everyone was well above avg... but we've been dry for almost a couple weeks now, so we lose ground pretty quick up here with a prolonged dry spell. Looks like we get back to unsettled next midweek.

At my house we have had about 75% of the normal annual snowfall by Jan 1.. or ~100" so far.

Here's a snowfall depth comparison chart from 1/15/13 for the area ski resorts.

http://www.nwac.us/data/CLISNO
Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby Stephen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:58 pm

That 1981 must have been some (poopy) year.
Stephen
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby mspamelablythe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:23 pm

Keep em comin Sno!
"Just a bunch of newbie GFS goupies commenting on how fantasyland is looking good..." - SlashTurn
mspamelablythe
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Somewhere between Outpost 14 and Hash House a Go Go...

Postby SKIPUNK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Have fun at bachelor. Hike the cone if it's not all tracked up. Haven't been there since they went 360 and opened the top chair. Back in the day my fave was the outback chair.
I was addicted to soap....... now I'm clean.
I've never taken a last run : UW
SKIPUNK
Climax
Climax

Postby Photoho » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:29 pm

^^ Was that over by the Bloomin Onion Bowl ?
Photoho
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby baiuse » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:44 pm

SKIPUNK wrote:Have fun at bachelor. Hike the cone if it's not all tracked up. Haven't been there since they went 360 and opened the top chair. Back in the day my fave was the outback chair.

No snow in awhile so everything is tracked out. Northwest is the chair to be now. Its west of outback and runs a lot higher and has some really long groomers that are a lot of fun.

This inversion sucks. Fog hovers 500-1000 feet and the temps stay between 28-33 everyday. Going on a hike tomorrow to get above the clouds and into some 50s. Bachelor on monday hopefully if my car is ready.
baiuse
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby Photoho » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 pm

This trip was 12/2011 not a good year.

Looking back down into Bend with the fog over the river
Photoho
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

PreviousNext

Return to Weather, Snow & Road Conditions