Sno's WYdaho thread

Weather & Road Conditions discussion forum to from and around, Mammoth Lakes, June, Bishop and the surrounding areas.

Re: Sno's WA thread (weather, pics, food, fun etc).

Postby Oregon Sunny Girl » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Had a great time skiing at Bachelor wed, thur, fri . Sunshine and warm weather. The snow was holding out great. OUtback and Summit had the best snow and steeps. Such a beautiful view from the NOrthwest chair. They had $25.00 lift tickets for charity week , such a deal. The off leash dog park was awesome too. All ski areas should put in these parks. People and dogs had a blast. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Life isn't about finding yourself,
it's about creating yourself
Oregon Sunny Girl
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby Snowave » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Glad you had fun.. We are having a great time.. Temps today in the mid 50s , but snow was still near perfect PP and MG conditions ! Love the mtn, dog park, light crowds, and the daily grooming of the huge parking lot. :)
Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby baiuse » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:29 pm

I hate the southern Willamette Valley...sunny and in the 50s or 60s all over the PNW except for a little patch of fog keeping it cloudy and 45 degrees, this has happened around 7-8 times in 2013. It's almost like the socal coasts where it could be sunny and warm everywhere except for one area like between Newport Coast and Laguna or up near Zuma.
baiuse
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby Snowave » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:42 am

Hey, it's the best Pinot noir producing region in the PACNW!

We're at Schweitzer Mtn this weekend... So far, really enjoying the place!
Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby MountainNut » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:40 pm

Snowave wrote:Hey, it's the best Pinot noir producing region in the PACNW!

We're at Schweitzer Mtn this weekend... So far, really enjoying the place!

Nice winding drive up the hill there from Sandpoint. Awesome views (of Lake Pend Oreille) when the sun is out or when there isn't an inversion blanket-cover.

Cool little "village" scene and low-key development vibe.

Haven't skied that mt in years, but did hike their slopes in July a couple of times.

I drove up the backside (far west boundary below the ridge) there at Schweitzer in mid-Summer a few years ago and never saw anyone for about 2 hours. Nearly got lost and had to dig out a USFS map to determine the route back. Went right up to the Schweitzer CC ski trails/signs and the bc boundary line in my vehicle. Great place to explore and ski-tour someday. Great to camp in the Summer months or bc camp. Or hit up with longtrack sno-sleds when possible..

Looks like a sunny day at Schweitzer today:

webcam shot of ski slope

Schweitzer's cool. Sandpoint also. HUGE trout in The Lake!

Check out nearby Silver Mt or 49 North sometime also (my other hiking spots)..

http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/582740/toyota-owners-can-ski-free-at-five-spokane-area-resorts
““The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government.” - Thomas Jefferson
MountainNut
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Going deep inside the Kremlin ... KGB-plotting with Vladimir Puntang..

Postby pkerr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Dave Murray was having fun with the weather today!!
Sleet / Snow / Freezing rain. When? How much?
First On - Last Off ...and I really joined Nov. '01
I wasn't born to ski, I was born to work... But then I got layed off.
pkerr
Climax
Climax

Location: Hidden Valley St Louis, MO- 310 really BIG vertical ft

Postby Snowave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:32 am

I bet... ha.. I was thinking about it all day today.

My Dad was flying into STL today, but obviously got cancelled. a couple cousins of mine were at Art Hill tonight sledding. :D

I even checked the HV webcams today. ;)

We have the first major storm heading in this morning in about 6 weeks... 2-3 ft expected for the crest near Stevens... maybe 6" at the house, but gonna be mixed with rain here I think.
Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby pkerr » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:24 am

Snowave wrote:I bet... ha.. I was thinking about it all day today.

My Dad was flying into STL today, but obviously got cancelled. a couple cousins of mine were at Art Hill tonight sledding. :D

I even checked the HV webcams today. ;)

We have the first major storm heading in this morning in about 6 weeks... 2-3 ft expected for the crest near Stevens... maybe 6" at the house, but gonna be mixed with rain here I think.

Speaking of HV.. They opened up another new area. A ridgeline called "West Mtn" Another couple of runs. If you are ever in town during winter drop me a line and I'll set you up.
pkerr
Climax
Climax

Postby Snowave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:48 am

have they put that new gondola in yet? ;)

Thanks... will do! Although,
Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby pkerr » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:53 am

Snowave wrote:have they put that new gondola in yet? ;)

We're still waiting to get a detachable quad. I think the Gondola goes in when the do the "interconnect" with 6 Flags.
pkerr
Climax
Climax

Postby Snowave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:58 am

pkerr wrote:
Snowave wrote:have they put that new gondola in yet? ;)

We're still waiting to get a detachable quad. I think the Gondola goes in when the do the "interconnect" with 6 Flags.

LOL! :D
Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby Snowave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:03 am

Here's some pics from last weekend at Schweitzer Mtn, ID... I wasn't really in camera mode last weekend, so snapped most of these in about an hour or two and put the camera away.

Overall, really enjoyed the variety of terrain.. however, the lift system is a little wacky and needs improvement. The back bowl (probably 1/3 of the entire terrain) is serviced by a 15 min double chair, and the weekend had 30 min liftlines... no thanks. I guess they are upgrading next year.

Snow conditions on piste were excellent. Place was empty on Friday, but the holiday weekend was obviously busier.. still, 10 min liftline was the most we got caught in (minus the double chair mentioned above), and it was only at one chair... ironically, it was the 6 pack chair, but it serviced the most intermediate terrain.

Sandpoint is beautiful... but kinda off..(as is most of Idaho we've visited). There is just something about the people and towns of Idaho that I can't figure out... except Boise.. which we liked alot.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... f5927523b1
Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby Stephen » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:26 am

Gorgeous. Marketing would love 'em
Stephen
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Re: Sno's WY thread (weather, pics, food, fun etc).

Postby Snowave » Tue May 14, 2013 9:43 pm

So... we're moving to Wyoming... or WyIdaho is probably a little more accurate.

We (the wife and I) are here in the RV in Teton Valley, ID... near Driggs... on the other (west) side of the teton pass- and 45 min or so from Jackson (Hole)... and just got a house in Alta, WY... a little sliver of WY on the East ID border that goes up to Grand Targhee Ski Area... pretty amped to be 8 miles from one of the best powder hills in the country! I took a trip up here 13 yrs ago and always thought it would be a cool place to live. We will move in stages this summer, and be here full time around Sept 1.

We really enjoyed WA, but too many damn trees, you can't see the beautiful Cascades we lived in most of the time... and 3+ months of no sun, with inversion hell this winter sucked. Even though we were 2.5 hrs from Seattle, there were still way too many people for my tastes. WA was really an intermediate stop that my job kind of dictated... but since I "retired", it has opened up some other adventures that I'm really excited about.

Besides, this area is really pretty amazing. Just up the road to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP's... 1.5 hrs to Idaho Falls, 2 hrs to Pocatello (Costco).... 3.5 hrs to SLC, a couple hrs to Sun Valley, Big Sky, etc.. a zillion hot springs in the area. Rivers you can actually fish in, a couple big lakes nearby. Some really great recreational opportunities.

The Teton Valley is a fairly broad valley with mtns on 3 sides, with the Tetons being the backdrop to the east.

Driggs/Victor are about 8 miles apart, and maybe 4k people in both towns combined. Surprisingly, there is some nice infrastructure here for such a small population base. Weekly music on main st, farmers markets, etc... A great grocery store (with daily made sushi that is excellent!)... 2 breweries, a vodka distillery, several restaurants, from thai and chinese to mexican and italian. There is also a sushi place and BBQ place, that I hope to compete against at some point. :geek:

I've already seen a moose, a buffalo... a guy passed me on a horse, and I had to run from a flock of horny sheep. A little different out here. :)

Here's a few shots from around the valley I've taken in the last week. Haven't really got to explore much yet as we were busy house hunting last week. Most of the canyons that go into the Tetons have access roads to trailheads, so it's pretty cool.

Our new place... we will have some extra space for visitors... discount rates for those showing your MVP or bringing In-n- Out. :P

I guess Bobby Ryan has a place here in the summer and golfs alot. He should be here soon. :roll:
Snowave
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Re: Sno's WY thread (wait, what happened to WA?!).

Postby mspamelablythe » Tue May 14, 2013 10:06 pm

Yippee!!!!! Go check out Snake River Brewing...hottest chili I've ever had.

Great pics Snowie.... Keep em comin!
"Just a bunch of newbie GFS goupies commenting on how fantasyland is looking good..." - SlashTurn
mspamelablythe
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Somewhere between Outpost 14 and Hash House a Go Go...

PreviousNext

Return to Weather, Snow & Road Conditions