San Diego Highwayman WRECKED! Beulah KIA 08/10/11

The Mill Off Topic Lounge, a place for relaxed fun non specific civil conversation. (PG13) Note: No Political or religious content.

San Diego Highwayman WRECKED! Beulah KIA 08/10/11

Postby theHighwayman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:36 pm

tDAY -- approx 1400 hours NB I-5 transition to NB SR163

Shela & I are OK -- SAR rig likely totaled :(

Last edited by theHighwayman on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
it is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that we cannot sincerely help another without helping ourselves in the bargain
http://www.chainsbysnowbird.com
theHighwayman
Climax
Climax

Re: WRECKED!

Postby Biker395 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:37 pm

theHighwayman wrote:tDAY -- approx 1400 hours NB I-5 transition to NB SR163

Shela & I are OK -- SAR rig likely totaled :(

Oh no! :(

What happened?
There is wisdom in collective stupidity. - Biker395

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com
Biker395
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Postby MountainNut » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:47 pm

Sorry to hear that. I take it you weren't hurt (much, or at all)?
““The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government.” - Thomas Jefferson
MountainNut
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Going deep inside the Kremlin ... KGB-plotting with Vladimir Puntang..

Postby Sierra Lady » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Oh my gosh, Highwayman...how scary! Glad neither you or Shela are hurt, but probably shaken up. Do tell us what happened when you're up to it. :hug:

Poor SAR rig. How can we help get you back out on the freeways helpin' folks? :?
Carry chains! :idea:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/
Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby Biker395 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:21 pm

Oh, that sucks. :(

I'll confess something else here, Highwayman. I love your SAR rig, but there is a dark side to driving an auto with 1950s technology ... safety. Even fairly low speed crashes can inflict serious injuries in those older cars. Simple things like the steering wheel, the rear view mirror, seats that aren't bolted down as well ... all kinds of stuff we all take for granted today. Kinda concerning.

I hope the SAR wagon survives, but it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to get an auto with some updated safety features.

I'll bet Sheila would love a Subie. ;)

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com
Biker395
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Postby 2NAKLLR » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:15 pm

OTOH, those steel cars can destroy anything else on the road w/ little damage. I want to see the other car.
I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with, isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to yoooouuu.
2NAKLLR
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby SurfnSnowboard » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:37 pm

Oh wow that's crazy I just drove past Highwayman's roost yesterday and smiled as I checked out the SAR wagon. So sad to see it destroyed but glad you and Sheila are okay Highwayman. Maybe time to call Turko agin ;)
It has to snow again eventually...right???
SurfnSnowboard
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby mspamelablythe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Sad face, glad everyone's ok....
"Just a bunch of newbie GFS goupies commenting on how fantasyland is looking good..." - SlashTurn
mspamelablythe
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Somewhere between Outpost 14 and Hash House a Go Go...

Postby onegoodturn » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Glad you are okay Hman.

Coulda been worse. Think '60s VW van SAR vehicle.
onegoodturnImagedeserves another
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby Biker395 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:04 pm

2NAKLLR wrote:OTOH, those steel cars can destroy anything else on the road w/ little damage. I want to see the other car.

That's what I would have thought, but remember this? :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com
Biker395
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Postby 2NAKLLR » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:48 pm

Ouch. Poor Bel-Air.
And poor SAR rig. Hope you get back on the roads soon Highwayman!
I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with, isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to yoooouuu.
2NAKLLR
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby theHighwayman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:42 am

Sadly, short of a complete redo -- which is somethin I am unable to effect mself I'm afraid it's totaled :(

funny what sudden impact kin do -- my loadin-packin stratigies of my equipment w this possibility in mind, over the years, payed off purty well, in that while lotsa things shifted forward, nuthin impacted Shela or me to injure us -- odd thing -- compressed air tank in the very back was upside down -- also my wheeled service jack stowed behind tool box behind driver's seat got upside down as well :?

lotsa things scattered around & thrown forward

hate ta think what mighta happened if the rig had got rolled tho :?:
Last edited by theHighwayman on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that we cannot sincerely help another without helping ourselves in the bargain
theHighwayman
Climax
Climax

Postby theHighwayman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:36 pm

thanks fer the well wishes ya'll

I'm thankfull no one was seriously hurt

been ponderin on this --

not really shure what happened -- went inta the transition from NB I-5 to NB SR163 prepared, as always, to encounter stopped traffic on the ramp -- noticed a vehicle w hazards flashin on the gore point, left side, goin in -- I was in the #1 lane decellin when, of a sudden, there was a WHUMP and outta the corner of my eye, I saw Shela fly towards the windshield -- harness saved her -- attempted to brake HARD -- to no effect -- a second WHUMP and rig's nose buried in the rear of a second vehicle --

I've been stewin bout it ever since -- it don't make sense how it happened --

first thing I did was check on status of other drivers -- both women -- no visible injuries but both got transported --

1st vehicle ended up on RS a considerable distance down the road -- second vehicle on LS w rig's nose jammned into it's rear -- possible 3rd vehicle "touched" by second [ no visible damage to either ] stopped a short distance in fronta the second

when help arrived, [ took bout 15 min ] I paced off back *up* the offramp hill lookin at the "trail" to try and decipher if there had been somethin slick on the road surface -- looked like there mighta been -- but then why didn't anyone else slide inta me?

most likely scenario I kin come up w, besides there havin bein spilled coolant from an earlier TC there, is that the first impacted vehicle changed lanes from right to left in fronta me and braked hard, jist as I glanced at-was distracted by the disabled vehicle in the gore point -- cause I *know* I had more then adequate stoppin distance to the second vehicle --

brakes failed on the rig -- pedal to the floor -- discovered when we went to move it to git it onta the rollback tow -- most likely, the first impact broke the hydraulic line at the master cyl when the fender crumpled -- which would explain why I couldn't avoid hittin the second vehicle --

I'm devastated by this --
Last edited by theHighwayman on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theHighwayman
Climax
Climax

Postby 2NAKLLR » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Don't be too hard on yourself HWM. You've been out on the roads long enough to know they're called accidents.
2NAKLLR
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby Photoho » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Sorry to hear this Highwayman.
Photoho
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Next

Return to The Mill