Dogs Playing in the Snow This Winter

A place to discuss all things local to the Eastern Sierra. Be it about news, events, local businesses, ect

Re: Dogs Playing in the Snow This Winter

Postby longlivechair19 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:28 pm

dogonjon wrote:Image
My skinny wife loves her dog who can't get enough snow.

mmmm marshmellows!
:pizza: :beer:
longlivechair19
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Postby Engine5150 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:42 pm

ePiC wrote:more dogs in snow please. I saw a dog just trompin around in the deep stuff around chair 2 yesterday when i was leaving, definitely cracked a smile on my face.

My pooch is cool with guarding my truck in the parking lot at chair 2 while I am riding. I beleive he is secure in that all he has to defend is the cab of my truck. However when I am done riding he loves to romp around in the woods at the end of the parking lot. He is happy to see me but he is even happier to run off the leash. He is part husky so I can't for a minute believe he would be happy to just sit there with me. He is chompin at the bit to play. I am always happy to see other pooches he can play with, it does make you smile and you can see the dogs smile, how can that be bad. I then put him back on the leash to go back to the truck, for his safety and I think that is the point to be made here. It's about what is safe for your dog.

Only owners who are smarter than their dog should let their dog run loose.
Engine5150
Broadway
Broadway

Postby theHighwayman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:15 pm

whoops!

I KNOW my Shela is smarter then me --

:oops:

"She's" been offleash @ the Viper Room :lol: :rock: http://snowchains.tripod.com/shotgunshela/
it is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that we cannot sincerely help another without helping ourselves in the bargain
http://www.chainsbysnowbird.com
theHighwayman
Climax
Climax

Postby MammothKate » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:32 pm

back to the original topic of this thread... i do belive a dog should be able to play off leash. I also believe you should be careful knowing the temperment of your dog being off leash. my neighbors dog got struck by a car and died in front of my house today. very very sad. i cant empathize enough on the loss of a dog by being hit by a car. very tramatic and sad. everyone just please, be careful with your furry friends :(
MammothKate
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby PerfectZero » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:08 am

Engine5150 wrote:He is part husky so I can't for a minute believe he would be happy to just sit there with me. He is chompin at the bit to play.

Did you by any chance park at Main last Thursday? I could have sworn I saw someone playing with a husky at the end of the day and it almost inspired me to go out and look for a dog right there.
The higher you get, the higher you get.
PerfectZero
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby theHighwayman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:26 am

MammothKate wrote:back to the original topic of this thread... i do belive a dog should be able to play off leash. I also believe you should be careful knowing the temperment of your dog being off leash. my neighbors dog got struck by a car and died in front of my house today. very very sad. i cant empathize enough on the loss of a dog by being hit by a car. very tramatic and sad. everyone just please, be careful with your furry friends :(

that is so sad :cry:
it is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that we cannot sincerely help another without helping ourselves in the bargain
theHighwayman
Climax
Climax

Postby gowithapro2009 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:57 am

Yes, we too had someone bring in his Great (White) Pyransese yesterday, who had also been hit by a car. Off leash as well, but it was an accident the dog just was so excited by the snow he leaped over a burm and was hit. Poor man, I felt so badly for him.
... You have to have a real love of your sport to carry you through all the bad times, you still want to ski even when things aren't working. You must have a commitment to work hard and to never give up. - Nancy Greene
gowithapro2009
Climax
Climax

Postby MammothKate » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:02 am

yes... that was my nieghbor. very upsetting.
MammothKate
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby sbe » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Wow. I posted the original message and didn't expect so many responses and such a wide array of feelings.

We lost our dog of 11 years (Buster) to cancer 3 months ago. We have his ashes in our home here in Mammoth and we're waiting for the spring to spread them around some of his favorite woods. He was never happier than he was here, blasting through woods at top speed in the summer and romping in the snow in the winter.

Now we're fostering a rescue dog after she spent 5 lonely months in a concrete shelter. We'll probably adopt her. She had never seen snow before. Once she figured it out, we can't stop her from leaping through the powder. She's our third dog. All were kept on leash in towns & cities but allowed to romp when safe to do so in areas like Horseshoe Lake in the summer, and the woods around Shady Rest in the winter (yes, we pick up after our dog). Watching her play with other dogs in the snow is ... awesome. It's an act of charity and grace to give a dog the space they need to be a dog. I look forward to seeing others in the woods and having our dogs romp together.

Scott
sbe
Broadway
Broadway

Postby theHighwayman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:04 am

GOOD onyas Scott

my Shela is a "rescue" as well

jist saw the movie "Fluke" [ couple of nights ago ]

"She" watched it very intently with me

at one point " the gravestone scene" She looked at me and said "arowof" :angel:
theHighwayman
Climax
Climax

Postby gowithapro2009 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:32 pm

While taking a walk, Little Tenzing chased a little bear up a tree on Lupin. So proud :clap:
... You have to have a real love of your sport to carry you through all the bad times, you still want to ski even when things aren't working. You must have a commitment to work hard and to never give up. - Nancy Greene
gowithapro2009
Climax
Climax

Postby weekendskier96 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:57 pm

lucky the bear did not hurt the dog
weekendskier96

Postby slamski » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:30 pm

My dog Spot! :lol:
slamski
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby gowithapro2009 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:49 pm

Does he work for ski school?
gowithapro2009
Climax
Climax

Postby Wannaskipow » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:32 pm

My dog goes nuts anytime there is snow on the ground, even if its just some leftovers:

Wannaskipow
Broadway
Broadway

PreviousNext

Return to Local Chat