Memorials on the mountain

Discussions regarding Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling, Cross country, and more, at MMSA and the surrounding areas

Memorials on the mountain

Postby rphenry » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:45 am

That I am aware of - there is the "Ebben Bowl" sign above West Bowl, a monument up on the top ridge to the three ski patrolmen that died in the sulfur vent accident, and one other memorial up near the top of Chair 14 (I forget the name there). Are there others up there?

I know there is also a plaque set in a stone beside the trail midway down Summit Run at Snow Summit memorializing a young man, and the "Derick Hotshot" tail at Jay Peak is named for Dave Derick, a high school acquaintance who died in an auto accident on his way to the mountain.

There are also trails at several Vermont resorts named for Perry Merrill, the State Forester who came up the idea of using CCC road-building crews to cut ski trails.
rphenry
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Re: Memorials on the mountain

Postby SkierBob » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:06 am

Catch Ya Later at mh is named after Brady Hoefle local mh kid killed in a auto accident.

Coffey chutes at mh are named after Darren Coffey killed in an avy Jan 26th 2008. Darren worked for the USFS as a Biologist and was a Wrightwood local.
SkierBob
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby PerfectZero » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:10 am

I think there's a plaque for Scotty at the top near the ski patrol office.
The higher you get, the higher you get.
PerfectZero
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby Photoho » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 am

Terry Smith http://www.fwsa.org/Awards/awards-race/ ... Smith.html
Not all are memorials and named runs are to people lost, but people that contributed a lot. Roger was paralyzed. Rogers Ridge.

Andie's Double Gold, Guss's Pasture for Guss Webber, Agee's for Dennis Agee, and others. Daves, Roma's, etc.
Photoho
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby SkierBob » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:17 am

I remember seeing Roger at main lodge in his wheelchair. I think Dave kept him employed after the accident doing something in main lodge. That was a long time ago probably early 70's.
SkierBob
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby ShiftyRider » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:27 am

The Chair 14 plaque honors Dick Sherman (ran the maintenance garage), wife Pamela, and son Ryan.

The ski monument atop Monument honors ski patroller Clifford Owen Scott.

The monument near the top of Climax honors ski patrollers James Juarez, Walter Rosenthal, and Scott McAndrews.

There's a plaque at the top of the gondola honoring crewmember Teresa "Scotty" Turley.

And there's a plaque up high between Avy 2 and Avy 3 that I'm drawing a blank on the details.
ShiftyRider
Climax
Climax

Postby Cruzer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:26 pm

I was told that Terrys Run was named after a heavy equipment operator who died while working at the top of Chair 3.
Quit Work...Go skiing.

You must have grown up in the no winners no losers generation where everyone gets a participation trophy and a pat on the butt for just showing up with their clothes on right side out
Cruzer
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby Ryan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:33 pm

SkierBob wrote:Catch Ya Later at mh is named after Brady Hoefle local mh kid killed in a auto accident.

Coffey chutes at mh are named after Darren Coffey killed in an avy Jan 26th 2008. Darren worked for the USFS as a Biologist and was a Wrightwood local.

There are also Mckays Glades which are the trees on the left side of Lower Chisolm.
Ryan
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby Photoho » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Cruzer wrote:I was told that Terrys Run was named after a heavy equipment operator who died while working at the top of Chair 3.

Yes. read my post 3 up from yours.
Photoho
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Re:

Postby sesamestreetwest » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:26 pm

ShiftyRider wrote:The Chair 14 plaque honors Dick Sherman (ran the maintenance garage), wife Pamela, and son Ryan.

The ski monument atop Monument honors ski patroller Clifford Owen Scott.

The monument near the top of Climax honors ski patrollers James Juarez, Walter Rosenthal, and Scott McAndrews.

There's a plaque at the top of the gondola honoring crewmember Teresa "Scotty" Turley.

And there's a plaque up high between Avy 2 and Avy 3 that I'm drawing a blank on the details.

Ray Critten, died in a explosives accident while doing avalanche control on Lincoln Mountain in the early 70's
sesamestreetwest
Broadway
Broadway

Postby Photoho » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:58 pm

Was this the same accident that severely injured a couple other patrollers ? Something to do with short fuses on Avalanchite or something like that ? I remember one guy that had a heck of a tough time recovering from that. I can't remember his name right now. Horrible accident :(
Photoho
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Ray Critton

Postby ShiftyRider » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks sesamestreetwest!
© 2004 David Ebben
ShiftyRider
Climax
Climax

Return to Mammoth Winter Activities