Lifts open after Apr. 22?

Discussions regarding Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling, Cross country, and more, at MMSA and the surrounding areas

Re: Lifts open after Apr. 22?

Postby skibum4ever » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Skied 12 and 14 yesterday, and was sorry we hadn't made it over there on Saturday.

There are a number of our regular runs (such as Gold Hill) in the chair 9/15 area that we just haven't skied at all this season.

The groomed runs were nice today. When the race courses opened up they were very fun, smooth and fast.

We'll be here all week so I'm really hoping for some decent corn snow.
skibum4ever
Climax
Climax

Postby Malolo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Toast until next weekend .... 8-)
Malolo
Climax
Climax

Postby RocketJet » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:02 pm

So how exactly do they keep the mountain going at this point? I understand they are still making snow but I heard that they actually move snow from other parts of the mountain. When does that start and how does that work? From here till closing, does the snow quality (not quantity) get worse or is skiing next weekend going to be similar to mid may?
RocketJet
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby TheSnowman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:20 pm

They are NOT making snow.... it's not even freezing at night.
Off to Never Land....
TheSnowman
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby BigHerm » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:23 pm

RocketJet wrote:So how exactly do they keep the mountain going at this point? I understand they are still making snow but I heard that they actually move snow from other parts of the mountain. When does that start and how does that work? From here till closing, does the snow quality (not quantity) get worse or is skiing next weekend going to be similar to mid may?

Snowman is right: no freeze = no snowmaking. I don't think they would make snow even if they could right now. They are moving snow around for unrelated purposes. Ridge lines and other scoured areas (think skier's right of Hollywood bowl and hard left from ch. 2 off ramp) get brown spots and you go around them. Quantity goes down when it doesn't freeze at night. Quality is subjective. It's spring skiing for sure. You go out early and chase aspects and elevation until you can't find anything that meets your requirements. They are salting Stump, Broadway, St. Moritz, and other assorted runs.

Bottom line: there is a lot of fun to be had right now. Zipper lines in the Glades and West Bowl. Great snow on World Cup after the racers are finished (tomorrow afternoon I believe). Check out a video of this past weekend's happenings if you need visual beta http://unofficialnetworks.com/video-springfest-2012-mammoth-conditions-april-23-92707/
BigHerm
Broadway
Broadway

Postby Klang180 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:06 am

Hey everybody

I was thinking of coming to Mammoth for Mar through June next year but is it worth it if most of the lifts are closed?
Klang180
Sesame street
Sesame street

Postby sdp » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:31 am

Klang180 wrote:Hey everybody

I was thinking of coming to Mammoth for Mar through June next year but is it worth it if most of the lifts are closed?

That's a rather subjective question isn't it?
I personally do not care for spring skiing while others will ski/board until it's dirt.
It also depends on the snow next year. Will it be a drought year or a boom year?
It's really up to you as to the value of late season ski/boarding.
sdp
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby Klang180 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:35 am

Thanks for your response, i take your point but it isn't subjective if most of the lifts are closed and that is really what i am after?

I love Spring slush but then i am one planker and not a two.

Any Snowboarders out there to give me their two cents?
Klang180
Sesame street
Sesame street

Postby ShiftyRider » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:21 am

K, your plan will work really well.

Closing Day is almost always between the last week in May and the first week in July. Plenty of great terrain all the way to the end. There's always a pipe -- the opening of a spring pipe next to Chair 3 usually signals one month to go. It's as good as the winter pipes, although maybe 25% of the overnights it doesn't freeze (kinda prevents grooming).

I'd say the last two or three weeks of the season, the park features like jumps and rails become less good and plentiful. They only build a couple near the spring pipe. The lower ones do last longer than the lower pipes.
ShiftyRider
Climax
Climax

Postby Rotten » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 am

Hey everybody

March usually gives us some great storms. April is in-between. A few good storms with a bit of warm mixed in. They don't close the other side of the mountain until mid-April. Then, with only have a few lifts you have the best part of the mountain still open with service to the top. Sounds like a good time to me.
Rotten
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby Klang180 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:10 am

Thanks Shifty and Rotten that is what i wanted to hear. I might consider coming mid to late Feb and going mid to late April instead but it is good to know it will be a generally cool time to visit.

Thanks to you both.

Now all i have to do is find accommodation for 3 months, probably not easy.
Klang180
Sesame street
Sesame street

Postby snowgurl » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:16 pm

Klang ~
I envy your plan!! June is pushing it a bit ~ but staying thru Memorial Day is a no brainer! I think we'll see flakes this May - maybe not a lot, but it's a rare year in MM when May doesn't bring a surprise.

Have fun!

**Editing to add that the bottom lodges have closed around Mid-April - even last year when they had plenty of snow to run into May. If you want ALL of the terrain, switch it up to arrive earlier. However, in May there may be less terrain, but there are also fewer kooks on it!
snowgurl
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby snowgurl » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:21 pm

skibum4ever wrote:Skied 12 and 14 yesterday, and was sorry we hadn't made it over there on Saturday.

There are a number of our regular runs (such as Gold Hill) in the chair 9/15 area that we just haven't skied at all this season.

Skibum - this has been the story of my season, too! I haven't ridden ANY of my favorite runs this season - 9, 22, 25 and 14 have been closed on my visits. I am looking on the bright side, it will be a sweet hello when I see them again next season! :inlove:
snowgurl
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby M2M » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:18 pm

2 years in a row - we have had a good storm around the second week of April - and l skied them both :D
it rhymes with chowda
M2M
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby BigHerm » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Klang180 wrote:Thanks Shifty and Rotten that is what i wanted to hear. I might consider coming mid to late Feb and going mid to late April instead but it is good to know it will be a generally cool time to visit.

Thanks to you both.

Now all i have to do is find accommodation for 3 months, probably not easy.

Check out http://mammothseasonaires.com/. They specialize in exactly your circumstances.
BigHerm
Broadway
Broadway

Previous

Return to Mammoth Winter Activities