Stay and Play

Discussions regarding Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling, Cross country, Biking, Golfing, Fishing, Hiking, Climbing, and more, at June Mountain and the surrounding areas

Moderator: JuneGOssip

Stay and Play

Postby windyscotty » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:34 am

A new billboard going north out of Bishop says: June Mtn. Stay and Play for $75. It is right next to the ad for tubing on Mammoth Mtn. Lodging is at OGT's bed and breakfast.

I would like to see somebody tube from the top on down the mountain. In fact, I would like to see a race of tubers. Sort of a tube madness.

June Mtn. could become a tube hill with a rope tow running off a car wheel.
windyscotty
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Re: Stay and Play

Postby moresnowplease » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:28 pm

:drunk:
Mark Twain:

Twenty years from now, you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
moresnowplease
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby windyscotty » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Do you drink? Because I don't! So who is the drunk?

What else are they going to do in June Lake?

Stay and play-man! For $75. Sounds like a good deal to me whether you are drunk or not.

Because like Bishop Creek, June Lake is a cross country skiers heaven. Oh yeah dude, it has Mammoth beat!

And just think, none of the ski area rudeness or insane traffic like in big, bad, Mammoth-Man!

I would choose June over Mammoth. But then again, I am a recluse, and do not like being around anybody. Especially, you!
windyscotty
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby onegoodturn » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:32 pm

Windy, can you direct me to June's awesome cross country ski trails? I need something to do when Mammoth is over run with tourists.
onegoodturnImagedeserves another
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby Sierra Lady » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:04 am

Major kudos to the folks on the June Lake Revitalization Committee and in the community of June Lake for coming up with some good ideas to help keep your village alive this winter! :clap: :y:

On Sierra Wave News 11/21/12:

June Lake: movies, Santa, cross country skiing

New trails for Cross-country Skiing: Additionally, the Double Eagle Resort & Spa just announced that they have made the decision to invest in snow grooming equipment in order to offer enhanced (and free!) cross-country skiing opportunities around the Loop to locals and guests this winter.

The Double Eagle Resort owners have submitted a request to the US Forest Service (USFS) to access the Silver Lake Meadow along with a request to groom the USFS-owned Rodeo Grounds and the area that extends from the June Lake Junction toward June Lake campground and North Shore Drive.

“Double Eagle Resort is excited about the opportunity to provide residents and guests with a groomed Nordic skiing option in the June Lake Loop, free of charge. We have our fingers crossed that Mother Nature will cooperate to allow these trails to be available all winter long and well into the spring,” said Ralph Lockhart of the Double Eagle Resort & Spa.

Approvals are already in place from Mono County to groom the portion of the Silver Lake Meadow which the Double Eagle owns. These trail grooming plans will add to the excellent Nordic skiing options that are available in the Eastern Sierra.
Last edited by Sierra Lady on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carry chains! :idea:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/
Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby onegoodturn » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:30 am

I actually talked to Connie tonight and there is still a parking issue. But yes things are looking up. But the town is still empty right now. Of course that's always the case this time of year. It's going to start hurting mid December thru mid April.

And I don't think June is a big nordic skier destination...

The movie tonight was awesome. Charles Bickford in a 1929 movie shot in Bodie pre fire. And the walk home was filled with stars and a moon that's almost full.
onegoodturnImagedeserves another
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby SkierBob » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 am

And the walk home was filled with stars and a moon that's almost full.

So you didn't bend snow stakes and tear up street signs walking home like they do in Mammoth?

Actually the ambience of June Lake Village can’t be beat
SkierBob
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby Biker395 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:37 am

onegoodturn wrote:I actually talked to Connie tonight and there is still a parking issue. But yes things are looking up. But the town is still empty right now. Of course that's always the case this time of year. It's going to start hurting mid December thru mid April.

And I don't think June is a big nordic skier destination...

The movie tonight was awesome. Charles Bickford in a 1929 movie shot in Bodie pre fire. And the walk home was filled with stars and a moon that's almost full.

No surprise ... I actually bought a copy of that movie on DVD. Pretty sweet footage of Bodie before the big fire. The sad part is watching it makes you realize how much was lost. :cry:
There is wisdom in collective stupidity. - Biker395

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com
Biker395
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Postby Sierra Lady » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:02 am

Sierra Wave News:

Continued work to bring back June Mountain

The soon to be official County Supervisor said that another committee is coming soon, headed by Carl Williams, June Mountain’s former manager. That group will examine how the community can help make June Mountain successful, how the mountain should be run. Alpers said they will possibly visit some ski areas in the East which are about the size of June Mountain and are very successful. The local people may examine those ski areas’ balance sheets and operation plans.

Alpers said one vision is to look at Mammoth and June Mountains as a regional facility not June Mountain as an overflow for Mammoth. Alpers said, “June can cater to young families and develop customers for many years.” In short, he said, “We’re looking for a new way to do business.”
Carry chains! :idea:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/
Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby ski-geezer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Got a message on Facebook from June Lake CC. Details of the lodging discounts mentioned earlier can be found on visitjune.com. Click on lodging specials. Let the marketing begin. :rock:
Last edited by ski-geezer on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is a dirty Subaru.
ski-geezer
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby Snow D » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:45 pm

God bless JM... I can't wait for the re-opening!
Hmmmmmm, need something clever…. oh well, screw it.
Snow D
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Return to June Mountain