Rusty says re-opening for 2013-14?

Discussions regarding Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling, Cross country, Biking, Golfing, Fishing, Hiking, Climbing, and more, at June Mountain and the surrounding areas

Moderator: JuneGOssip

Re: Rusty says re-opening for 2013-14?

Postby SkiSox » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:02 am

mtnrocker wrote:Lame idea...east coast ski areas are very close to major population areas.June isnt.The permitting process is completely different. California is a heavily regulated state[eco laws] .. the sNow is different, State and local governments are different..They could save a lot of money and just go down to Mt High......they seem to stay open...some yrs w/ no natural snowfall. Nothing realy 'peerlike' in a east coast ski area.....A waste.

I think you're overstating your case a bit here.

Three of the the four areas they are visiting are in the state of Vermont. Vermont's Act 250 is considered amongst the most restrictive development regulations in the country, and that's before considering that two of those three lie within VT State forest lands. Waterville is in the notoriously restrictive White Mountain National Forest in NH. I don't think its remotely accurate to presume that the regulatory climate within which those mountains operate is materially more lenient than June's.

In addition, in order to get to those areas from the major population centers you reference, skiers must drive well past numerous smaller resorts with an inferior product and which are much more reliant upon snowmaking. Sound familiar?

And since when is Mt High family resort? That's neither what they market themselves as nor is it so much as a plurality, let alone majority, of their customer base.

Finally, while the article references Bromely's proximity to the larger, upscale Stratton, it neglects to mention the similar dynamic with Stowe's proximity to Smugglers Notch. Even Pico, to some extent, has carved out a successful niche that is separate from that of its large corporate parent Killington 20 minutes down the road.

The reality is that with June's distance to the closest major population center, there are few perfect analogues. The places they've chosen have a track record of success in attracting families from population centers 2-5 hrs away despite operating in the shadows of much larger neighbors. As a result, they are a pretty good fit. I'm sure there are other potential matches in North America, but dismissing out of hand the one's they've chosen is uninformed and off base.
SkiSox
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby mtnrocker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 am

Mt High isnt a family resort? News to me to me. You obliviously havent been to Ski Dazzle and looked at their booth and talked to the head of marketing.....June Mountains booth is always a table w/ a bunch of stickers on it w/ stoned/drunk employees playing Xbox. If not Mt High, how about Homewood? Snow Summit?Diamond Peak?Donner Ski Ranch,see where Im going?.....probably not. Its a waste of taxpayers money for our elected officials to go there. What is this JUNKET going to accomplish? The mountain is supposedly reopening next season.....therefore its a pointless trip....MMSA is famous for hiring high payed consultants and spending MILLIONS on marketing.....why not hire a consultant regarding June?.....bottom line once again.....MMSA does not want to market June. There is to much$$$$$$$ invested in TOML. {properties/food joints/golf courses,hotels ect].Remember who owns MMSA? Its not about skiing anymore, its about selling real estate. Thanks for the brief history of the east coast ski areas though. But Its just not the same. :lol:
mtnrocker
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby 6IX » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:18 am

Maybe it’s been discussed in the prior 14 pages, but I’d assume June should re-open with a limited schedule to help cut costs..??.. Fri-Sun would be a start… That’s when I’d be able to make it up there.
Heroes: 1) Dave McCoy
6IX
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby SnowHeart » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:31 am

Maybe it’s been discussed in the prior 14 pages, but I’d assume June should re-open with a limited schedule to help cut costs..??.. Fri-Sun would be a start… That’s when I’d be able to make it up there.

I would find being open three days a week highly unacceptable. May as well be closed.
SnowHeart
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby maxpower88 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 am

SnowHeart wrote:I would find being open three days a week highly unacceptable. May as well be closed.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 7550,d.b2I
Read, learn....

Fireside Fridays at Eagle Point

There are still some untracked pow out there even after yesterday, our second busiest day ever.

Ski or Snowboard Free throughout the season with the following promotions:

California Residents -- All Season Long* (*must show proof or residency)

Nevada Residents -- Every Thursday all season and the Vegas Special Series on February 13 and March 13.

Everyone -- Free every Thursday all season long.

Catch the Powder Shuttle daily (Thurs-Sun) from St. George to Eagle Point with potential stop at Beach Break in Cedar City. Please call 435-862-7641 or email for reservations. Currently running a special - $40 for round trip INCLUDING your lift ticket (yes, you read that correctly).

Come out for free and see why Eagle Point Resort has become the premier weekend ski and snowboard destination in southern Utah.
"How would I describe myself? Three words: hard working, alpha male, jackhammer…merciless…insatiable…"
maxpower88
Climax
Climax

Postby SkiSox » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:52 am

mtnrocker wrote:Mt High isnt a family resort? News to me to me. You obliviously havent been to Ski Dazzle and looked at their booth and talked to the head of marketing

Feel free to base your observations on a few minutes spent at Ski Dazzle. I'll base mine on the 10-20 days I spend there each year actually looking at the customers. Sure there are many families there - it's got a great set up for families. But they market themselves most clearly to young boarders.

.....June Mountains booth is always a table w/ a bunch of stickers on it w/ stoned/drunk employees playing Xbox.

Not sure what that has to do with Mtn. High. That's more a statemenet about the pathetic lack of interest MMSA has displayed in marketing June since they've owned it.

If not Mt High, how about Homewood? Snow Summit?Diamond Peak?Donner Ski Ranch,see where Im going?.....probably not. Its a waste of taxpayers money for our elected officials to go there. What is this JUNKET going to accomplish? The mountain is supposedly reopening next season.....therefore its a pointless trip....MMSA is famous for hiring high payed consultants and spending MILLIONS on marketing.....why not hire a consultant regarding June?.....bottom line once again.....MMSA does not want to market June. There is to much$$$$$$$ invested in TOML. {properties/food joints/golf courses,hotels ect].Remember who owns MMSA? Its not about skiing anymore, its about selling real estate. Thanks for the brief history of the east coast ski areas though. But Its just not the same. :lol:

Lot's of noise. Not much signal. People can come to their own conclusions as to whether it's a waste of money. Regardless, your original assertion that there is nothing to learn from the resorts they've chosen is wrong on its face and deserved a little critical thinking. The parallels are significant and obvious for anyone who cares to step away from their keyboard and the pipe for a second.
SkiSox
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby SkiSox » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:54 am

6IX wrote:Maybe it’s been discussed in the prior 14 pages, but I’d assume June should re-open with a limited schedule to help cut costs..??.. Fri-Sun would be a start… That’s when I’d be able to make it up there.

Anothe rmodel might be that of a place called Plattekill in NY. They are open every week from Fri-Sun with an exception for weekdays when they receive 6" or more. They call it Powderdaze and it's a good way to take advantage of the higher weekday demand that comes with poweder days as opposed to wasting money Mon-Thurs during those dry weeks/months when the Eastern Sierra snow gods aren't playing ball.
SkiSox
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby SnowHeart » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:58 am

Well, I could see being open 5 days a week and closed 2, maybe. But 3 days a week would be too few. Through the late 80's to mid 90's we had $10.00 Wednesdays and the parking lots overflowed onto the highway. I could definitely see that happening again with the right plan for June Mt. Yeah, I know, "times have changed" ... blah blah blah
SnowHeart
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby SnowHeart » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:01 am

I'm willing to bet, our average Eastern Sierra snow pack is far different than in New York resorts, as far as how long the powder lasts, having grown up back east.
SnowHeart
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby onegoodturn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:21 am

6IX wrote: Fri-Sun would be a start… That’s when I’d be able to make it up there.

And it's all about you, of course.
onegoodturnImagedeserves another
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby mtnrocker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:52 pm

I happen to be friends w/ Mt highs director of marketing. Im not a touron like yourself that hangs out there[btw there are waaaay better ski ares in So Cal]. Ive worked the Ski Dazzles for many yrs as a rep from a company in Mammoth....I see what they[My High,Snow Summit,hell even My Baldy are giving away,lots of family packages and kids lift tickets[who do you think brings them kids up there?The tooth fairy?]. Im really glad that you did your math and can add 2 and 2 Mr Einstein. My point is MAMMOTH DOES NOT WANT TO CHANGE THEIR FOCUS IN MARKETING...now go back to Mt high and enjoy your crowds.
Its all about marketing.
FYI Since you are not aware, marketing is what you do to attract people to what ever you are selling them..stickers on a table is not how you attract someone to visit a ski area that is 6 hours away. l'lI stick to my point about the JUNKET...its a complete waste of time...if they are already reopening. Your light may be on but i think nobody is home bro, and its flickering.
mtnrocker
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby SkiSox » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:39 am

mtnrocker wrote:I happen to be friends w/ Mt highs director of marketing. Im not a touron like yourself that hangs out there[btw there are waaaay better ski ares in So Cal].

Quick - everyone look at the cool guy! You need only ask him and he'll tell you all about the people he knows and the gnar places he skis!

Thanks for the news flash, Einstein. I'm well aware the Mt High is not exactly the cream of the crop in SoCal. When you've got two young kids, it is unfortunately the best set-up around, even if they don't seem to give a #2 about my business. I don't feel great about it b/c I'd prefer to avoid walking my kids through clouds of weed in the parking lot, but from a physical set up stand point, there are no other options unless I want to travel 2x as far to Big Bear. When it's Daddy time, it's all Baldy and Waterman for me, but that's neither here nor there.

Ive worked the Ski Dazzles for many yrs as a rep from a company in Mammoth....I see what they[My High,Snow Summit,hell even My Baldy are giving away,lots of family packages and kids lift tickets[who do you think brings them kids up there?The tooth fairy?]. Im really glad that you did your math and can add 2 and 2 Mr Einstein. My point is MAMMOTH DOES NOT WANT TO CHANGE THEIR FOCUS IN MARKETING...now go back to Mt high and enjoy your crowds.
Its all about marketing.[q/uote]
More brilliant revelations! Of course it's abt the marketing, and basic economics. Why would MMSA want to drive skiers to June at a $50 yield when they can drive them to Mammoth at a $100 yield? It's no mystery as to why they've never put a dime into the place outside of interest in the Rodeo Grounds. I assure you, if there was a legit, big mtn family alternative to Mt High, I'd be there pretty often. Getting so desperate this year, I'm thinking of slumming it at China Peak.

FYI Since you are not aware, marketing is what you do to attract people to what ever you are selling them..stickers on a table is not how you attract someone to visit a ski area that is 6 hours away.

I won't richard wave about what I do, but suffice to say, your lecturing me on this point is pure comedy.

l'lI stick to my point about the JUNKET...its a complete waste of time...if they are already reopening.

Right, because there's nothing they could learn - they already know every. They just need to ask you, since you apparantly have all the answers.
SkiSox
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby SurfnSnowboard » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:00 pm

SnowHeart wrote:Well, I could see being open 5 days a week and closed 2, maybe. But 3 days a week would be too few. Through the late 80's to mid 90's we had $10.00 Wednesdays and the parking lots overflowed onto the highway. I could definitely see that happening again with the right plan for June Mt. Yeah, I know, "times have changed" ... blah blah blah

I can't see how they could get enough workers if they were only open 3 days a week. 5 days seems a lot more reasonable. I'm not sure how popular $10 (or $20 or whatever) Wednesdays would be now with the advent of the MVP, College Pass, etc. Of course it's worth trying.
It has to snow again eventually...right???
SurfnSnowboard
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby onegoodturn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:07 pm

^Most people that live in June have 2 or 3 jobs. They wouldn't have a problem finding people to work 3 days a week around here. There's other reasons that it wouldn't work. But I'm not going to get into it here. June will be open for the 2013-2014 season and that's all the really matters to me.
onegoodturnImagedeserves another
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby SkierBob » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:48 am

June will be open for the 2013-2014 season and that's all the really matters to me.

works for me

pray for snow!
SkierBob
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

PreviousNext

Return to June Mountain