Rusty says re-opening for 2013-14?

Discussions regarding Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling, Cross country, Biking, Golfing, Fishing, Hiking, Climbing, and more, at June Mountain and the surrounding areas

Moderator: JuneGOssip

Rusty says re-opening for 2013-14?

Postby PE395 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:17 pm

After a one-year planned hiatus, June Mountain Ski Area will re-open for the 2013-14 winter season, CEO Rusty Gregory said Monday.

“We're going to open it up,” he said during an interview. “We submitted our operating plan to the Forest Service and now we’re waiting for approval, and part of that operating plan is letting them know that we intend to open it as normal for the 2013-14 season.”

It is in essence a re-launch of the ski area, which is owned by Mammoth Mountain. Gregory said Mammoth would take the year to more clearly hone June Mountain’s mission and to target its marketing base.

“Carl Williams [the general manager of June Mountain] is going to working closely with the community on working to define a more clearly-identified market niche for June,” Gregory said. “That will involve both the Mountain and the community.”

As of now, Gregory said June would be a destination for “young families.”

What that means in specific terms, Gregory said, is still up in the air.

“You’ll be hearing a lot more of that in the weeks and months to come.”

The news of the re-opening did not exactly achieve the magnitude of the news of its closure for the current 2012-13 season, which was made last spring in the heels of a near-disastrous, snow-starved season for both June and for Mammoth Mountain.

“We haven't made a big deal about it, not because it isn't big news,” Gregory said, “but because we've got a lot of work to do and make sure we have our plan down and approach the community in the right way.”

Gregory made his remarks about June Mountain n a wide-ranging interview that touched on a number of topics, mostly centered on Mammoth Mountain in the days leading up to its Opening Day, scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 8

article: http://mammothtimes.com/content/june-mo ... -marketing
PE395
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Re: Rusty says re-opening for 2013-14?

Postby Skeeze » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Well, that's some great unexpected news.
Skeeze
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby onegoodturn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:34 pm

PE395 wrote:As of now, Gregory said June would be a destination for “young families.”

Hope they still let "old retired farts" up there..

Great news. When do ya think we should start the countdown???
onegoodturnImagedeserves another
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby SkierBob » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:15 pm

onegoodturn wrote:
PE395 wrote:As of now, Gregory said June would be a destination for “young families.”

Hope they still let "old retired farts" up there..

Great news. When do ya think we should start the countdown???

“young families.”

HA HA I thought about OGT as soon as I read that. I don't think I qualify either. :-?

Good news never the less
SkierBob
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby PE395 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:21 pm

Maybe it means making it more, if not affordable, more family/group trip friendly with packages or something. Plenty of June loyal friends I know with kids won't be going to Mammoth this year because of cost.
PE395
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby windyscotty » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:25 pm

I wouldn't believe anything anyone says until the lifts run, and you are on them.

A lot can happen from now until they say it will reopen, so don't get your hopes up.
windyscotty
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby onegoodturn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Got my hopes sky high....
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby Photoho » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

This is great news but what do they know now that they didn't a few months ago ? Its not like they just finished a good season. They have no idea what this season holds. If their reason for closing it is true, only a great 12/13 season could make re opening possible. I thought the bank was calling the shots ? Hopefully there is much we don't know and this will actually happen. Kind of ironic that the "plan" sounds like what everybody has been saying all along and could have been put in place a couple of years ago. I'm sure there is waaaay more to this than I have any idea about. This is just an observation from 340 miles away from somebody completely out of the loop, so to speak. Get it ? Out of the Loop. ;)
Don't worry OGT, you will be grandfathered in. Get it ? Grandfathered in. ;)
Photoho
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby windyscotty » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Listen pops, I hate to deflate your high hopes, but if we have a bad snow year, they will not want to reopen June.

Everything depends on it! Just ask snowman.
windyscotty
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby PerfectZero » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Photoho wrote:This is great news but what do they know now that they didn't a few months ago ?

I think they were waiting for all the good ideas from the forum to come in :lol:
The higher you get, the higher you get.
PerfectZero
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby 2NAKLLR » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Pho is on a ROLL!
I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with, isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to yoooouuu.
2NAKLLR
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby onegoodturn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:35 pm

Well FWIW, Mr. Gregory did say at the very first meeting with the community of June that the banks will want a viable plan before June can reopen. So Rusty and Carl have been working with the community and others to come up with that plan.

Maybe the banks like that plan and are willing to reopen June.

I'm just going to ignore all the negativity that's going to come out on this thread.
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby PE395 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:38 pm

onegoodturn wrote:I'm just going to ignore all the negativity that's going to come out on this thread.

x2
PE395
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby Photoho » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:28 pm

" Maybe the banks like that plan and are willing to reopen June. "

This must be the case. Its the only thing that would make since. Wouldn't the June folks working on the plan know this ?
I just hope Mammoth has a good enough year that this isn't even an issue next season.
Photoho
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby ride395 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Maybe he came back with a balance sheet that wasn't rigged against June Mtn ... accounting can be magic like that!

*removes tinfoil hat*
http://jonnycoppfoundation.org/ | Make your own Legends
ride395
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Next

Return to June Mountain