MVP Refunds

Discussions regarding Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling, Cross country, Biking, Golfing, Fishing, Hiking, Climbing, and more, at June Mountain and the surrounding areas

Moderator: JuneGOssip

MVP Refunds

Postby meyerfun » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:22 am

I feel pretty much a hostage to the July MVP refund offer. And, I'm not clear on the outcome of a refund. What happens if I request a refund, and then they figure out a way to keep June open? If I opt out, will I have to wait years to get back in?

Frankly, June is my preferred mountain for skiing. I only picked up the MVP thing because I thought a day or two over in Mammoth would be fun. (Of course, a $5 locker is never fun.)

Anyway, the deadline is approaching, and I am going to have to make a decision. What are other people thinking?

The prospect of driving over to Mammoth to ski in the clutter I have experienced over there, is not appealing. And, I certainly would relish being part of a larger group of folks who would request a refund to make a serious statement to Mammoth management.

Clearly, the impact of this announcement to the town of June Lake will have some sad consequences.
meyerfun
Sesame street
Sesame street

Re: MVP Refunds

Postby Sierra Lady » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:52 am

The answer you seek about June Mountain is in the "Bye Bye June Mountain" thread this morning: :cry:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13693&start=930

Re: Bye Bye June?
by SnowHeart » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:21 am

Meeting started out smoothly and hopeful. Recap of many meetings by local committee in the last two weeks that included Gregory, forest Service, Planning dept head, County Supervisors. Lots of research had been done in the last two weeks and emergency county supervisors meeting had been called for next Tuesday. Then Carl williams (June Mountain managerger) shot all the ha
rd work down by stating June Mt will not open this winter no matter what. He said there absolutely was no time to finish chair maintenance and he had no staff. No matter what suggestion were put out, he said NO, NO NO.

Almost unanimously, committee and locals decided to proceed on our own to do what we can to somehow free June Mt from MMSA. Carl got yelled at, forest Service got vented at. In the end lots of ideas were thrown around by younger segment of locals and business owners and residents. It looks 99.9% that June Mt will not operated this winter. I am hopeful that in the long run June Mountain will be back.

I have to run. In a little while I think you may find a more detailed recap on Friendsofjunemountain.com or Savejunemountain facebook or friendsofjunemountain facebook. I did not notice any news reporters at the meeting.

Oh, and one local pointed out that in 1986 when Dave McCoy bought June Mt,starting in the middle of July, he disassembled and put back together at least three chairs, moved dirt around all over the mountain and remodeled the chalet and opened in December. All in that very small time frame.
Carry chains! :idea:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/
Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby meyerfun » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:06 pm

Yep. Getting the message.

I'm going for reimbursement of two of the three family MVP's. One of us may get over there to ski the madness six or seven days.

Repugnant management.

"Gee, I didn't water the plant, and now it died." And whose fault is that?

There is a lot of political crap going on now about the value of business experience, but to my mind there are plenty of inept business folk. The label is not a guarantee of acumen or wholesome ethics. The whole point of the FS permit is to encourage people access to the forest and a healthy, athletic embrace of nature.

Rusty and his banking cronies can make 1.5 million more (blindly estimated) next year by giving the mountain to someone else. This, according the historical records, would compound Mammoth profit yearly. Why wouldn't he do that, unless he had an ulterior motive?

Where is the visionary that looks at the overall health of the industry, in pricing, in growth, in the encouragement of sport and health? It apparently ain't Rusty and his cronies. Shame.

Let's see, what did he say in the community meeting? Oh, yeah, something about the community getting off their "asses."

Nice guy. Constructive comment? No.

What else? Hmm. Two EPIC snow years in a row. One drought year. Now we are in crisis?????

What else? I dunno. If I'm not careful I'll devolve into the price of lockers at Mammoth, and the wandering helpers that assist families in spending vast sums of money to keep stuff for a few hours, and every time little Susie or Johnny forgets or needs something, hey....no big deal. Money. More money.

OMIGOD. Stop me. I feel so angry.

If the sport, skiing or snowboarding, is to survive, it has got to be affordable. I don't believe these guys are right thinking.

Ah. I"m done with the rant. Too much.

jm
meyerfun
Sesame street
Sesame street

Postby Sierra Lady » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Your rant hit the nail on the head. :|
Carry chains! :idea:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/
Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby teledork » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:56 am

Rusty and his banking cronies can make 1.5 million more (blindly estimated) next year by giving the mountain to someone else. This, according the historical records, would compound Mammoth profit yearly. Why wouldn't he do that, unless he had an ulterior motive?

ding-ding-ding!!!

and this:
Let's see, what did he say in the community meeting? Oh, yeah, something about the community getting off their "asses."

Hey, I'll see your crassness and disrespect for the community and raise you one eff -off, Rusty.
teledork

Postby shuttermeshort » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:10 pm

Get your refund on all. If June opens, buy June passes. If you really want to ride Mammoth, buy day tickets for the few times you want to go.
Make all the money you want but If you require a community to build your fortune, you owe that community the respect of livelihood. Man is real - money is man made.
RE-OPEN JUNE

10-11 season - 12 days
11-12 season - 9 days
www.shuttermeshort.com
shuttermeshort
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby SurfnSnowboard » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:55 pm

meyerfun wrote:Rusty and his banking cronies can make 1.5 million more (blindly estimated) next year by giving the mountain to someone else. This, according the historical records, would compound Mammoth profit yearly. Why wouldn't he do that, unless he had an ulterior motive?

jm

The key word being "blindly". Or you could have said "(I'm just making that up because I have no idea what I'm really talking about.)"
It has to snow again eventually...right???
SurfnSnowboard
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby TonyC » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:19 am

Rusty and his banking cronies can make 1.5 million more (blindly estimated) next year by giving the mountain to someone else.

Maybe true (and it's really 700K), but I've not heard of any volunteers willing to accept the gift yet.
TonyC
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby donkeyshowwhat » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:41 am

shuttermeshort wrote:Get your refund on all. If June opens, buy June passes. If you really want to ride Mammoth, buy day tickets for the few times you want to go.

Why would anybody who likes to slide via lifts follow your advice? You really think the general public gives F about June? Or that MVP's give up their pass to join your little protest ? Pathetic.
donkeyshowwhat
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby SurfnSnowboard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Rusty and his banking cronies can make 1.5 million more (blindly estimated) next year by giving the mountain to someone else.

Let me give you an analogy even you might be able to understand:

Let's say you bought a nice big house in SoCal about 5 years ago before housing market crashed. You were easily able to afford the $4,500 per month mortgage. Now 5 years later you've had to accept a lower paying job and can't afford the $54,000 annual mortgage payments.

If you walk away from the house and let the bank take it are you then "making $54,000 more next year"? Or are you just not spending $54,000 next year that you can't afford?

It really is that simple.
It has to snow again eventually...right???
SurfnSnowboard
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby ski30+ » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:00 am

meyerfun wrote:If the sport, skiing or snowboarding, is to survive, it has got to be affordable. I don't believe these guys are right thinking.

New bumper sticker.. "Save Skiing and snowboarding. Save June Mtn!!" Oh ya and lower lift ticket prices... Since Skiing needs to be a right of being a US citizen??

Lift tickets should be included in my EBT and healthcare payment??
ski30+
Broadway
Broadway

Postby teledork » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:22 am

Since Skiing needs to be a right of being a US citizen??

I don't see where anyone here has suggested that, except you so how 'bout you and SnS go over there and twist each other's words into pretzel shapes and the rest of us will just watch -
teledork

Postby mspamelablythe » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:51 am

teledork wrote:

I don't see where anyone here has suggested that, except you so how 'bout you and SnS go over there and twist each other's words into pretzel shapes and the rest of us will just watch -

I'm gonna make some popcorn....
"Just a bunch of newbie GFS goupies commenting on how fantasyland is looking good..." - SlashTurn
mspamelablythe
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Location: Somewhere between Outpost 14 and Hash House a Go Go...

Postby Biker395 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:55 am

Kettle corn? I'm in.
There is wisdom in collective stupidity. - Biker395

ImageImage
www.Photo395.com
Biker395
Hemlock Ridge
Hemlock Ridge

Postby skibiscuit » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:56 am

mspamelablythe wrote:
teledork wrote:

I'm gonna make some popcorn....

make double, extra butter. i'll be over in 10.
"Wherever you go skiing, spare no expense to make your trip as cheap as possible."
- Warren Miller
skibiscuit
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Next

Return to June Mountain