If you were the CEO, what would you do to 'fix' June?

Discussions regarding Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling, Cross country, Biking, Golfing, Fishing, Hiking, Climbing, and more, at June Mountain and the surrounding areas

Moderator: JuneGOssip

Re: If you were the CEO, what would you do to 'fix' June?

Postby rphenry » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:59 am

Trammam wrote:Hi All,
Just so you know where I'm coming from on this issue, I'll give you a little of my background. I am a 62 year old grandmother of 2, who are just getting to the age to learn to ski. We have a townhome in June, and picked June Lake for our second home because it was so different from Mammoth in character ( not better or worse ) just a more family oriented area. Our goal was to provide a place where we could enjoy each other year round as a family. Both of my sons ski, but their wives do
not. They have tried skiing but I think they have found the whole getting ready--ski rental, clothing, chairlift ride all too much and therefore are not on board with the whole idea. I think the hassle factor has, so far, not outweighed the thrill of sliding down the mountain--and as we all know for young families, if Mama don't like --it don't happen.
For June to reinvent itself as a more family hill, it must appeal to the Moms of these families. A first class childcare facility would be on my list, along with packages that include clothing, skis, lessons, food and daycare. Putting a child on J1, even with an adult, is a harrowing event. Most parents really don't like the idea, no matter how beautiful that ride can be.
I realize that a gondola won't be appearing any time soon, but maybe, a few transportation cats could be put into service to get the younger skiers and their timid adults up the hill would be a great option. Perhaps they could be employed in the evening for a dinning at the top experience.
Howabout a Junior Ski Patrol camp for the tween group (10-14), that might include conditioning and safety training, akin to the Junior Life Guard programs so popular at the down south beaches. They could work on badges/levels at each camp they attend.
Adult night out, where the kids are provided dinner, a movie, popcorn etc and the local restaurants have a shuttle so mom and dad can have a couple of glasses of wine.
Marketing the hill and the experience to young families seems like the way to go to get families hooked into skiing. Making it easy and convenient to families should be the model. For more the more experienced skiers, keep the shuttles
going over to Mammoth, June is special, the people of the community are special. Mammoth Mtn.can make June work and both mountains can benefit.

I like the way you are thinking about this. I know that when I first took my kids to June, it was in the days when the QMC was still running, sop there was no problem with J1 freakouts.

I see as the worst episode of Dave McCoy's career was when he bought too heavily into the Yan company's products. The faults on the detachable chairs could be fixed, but the QMC and the People Mover at MMSA Main Lodge were predictable disasters whose most economical "repair" was to rip them out, leaving steel memorials to their failure.

I never could figure out why pieces of older chairs (or even the original gondola) were not recycled at June.
rphenry
Center Bowl
Center Bowl

Postby M2M » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:11 am

offer cat skiing with all this snow,,,
it rhymes with chowda
M2M
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby selkirks » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:36 am

I see a number of options available to MMSA/ownership as they figure out what to do with June.

1. Replace J1 with a high-speed quad, or, even better, a gondola. (Ideally, it would be a Chondola, but we won't get into that. This wouldn't be nearly as expensive as some people here seem to think. It wouldn't. And why would it matter? June is owned by MMSA, which has a fairly wide financial well from which to draw. Oh, they're separate operations. Oh, it would cannibalize Mammoth. Why would it cannibalize Mammoth? They're under a common ownership. It's like people who were concerned that the iPhone was cannibalizing the iPod. It makes no sense--both from a business standpoint and a common-sense standpoint. MMSA must think of June and Mammoth as one entity. Not necessarily as one product, but as one entity that rises and falls together. J1 has a capacity of 600 skiers an hour. And it's a freaking access lift! So put in a gondola, or a HSQ, or a chondola. Before the QMC was ripped out, June was averaging about 100,000 skier visits per year. Of course when you rip out what's essentially an access lift, you're going to lose a lot of customers. I say Mammoth should take a gamble on June--and do it this summer. Bite the bullet and install a J1 replacement HSQ or MDG8 (that's a "monocable detachable gondola," for the uninitiated). There have been numerous Mammoth upgrades over the past few years, and zero at June. Take a chance. If skier visits rebound (which, I could easily see 30,000 additional skier visits Year 1, then another 15-25,000 Year 2), then maybe try to push for a few more beds at the base. But don't establish the beds before you have the skier demand. And don't do it without the input of the locals. It just doesn't make sense.

One alternative option would be to move J1 to replace one of the HSQs that's higher up on the mountain, then put the HSQ as a J1 replacement. That would likely require an extensive retrofit, but it would cost much less than an entirely-new lift.

2. Sell the lifts and run the ski area as a cat-skiing operation. This is one option that I haven't seen surfacing at all during this discussion, but it could be the perfect balance between what June Lake residents want and what MMSA/RG want. Imagine the possibility of heading over to June for some cat-skiing on an epic powder day. One cat could hold twelve people and you could charge a reasonable $300pp. Not only would this option better differentiate Mammoth and June, but it would make it much, much easier for the area to run a profit. And there's something to be said about the smaller size of a cat-skiing operation that might better fit in with June Lake, the town. See Selkirk Powder Company, an outfitter that runs off of the West Side of Schweitzer Mountain Resort in Idaho for an idea of what this would mean. Another closer analog might be Endless Blue Resort (formerly Ski Rio, NM), a ski area that went under and was purchased by new investors, who turned it into a cat-skiing operation.

---
Let's be honest here. MMSA sees June as "not worth marketing" because of a lack of skier visits. Because of a poor experience. Because it's just not competitive. "No one goes there." That lack of skier visits stems from not a lack of beds in June Lake, but an uninviting first-timer experience; nay, an uninviting general skiing experience. Downloading on J1? No, thanks. Not when I can just head over to Mammoth and ski Discovery all day. Or, for experts, anything else. So how do you re-attract those first-timers and families? Replace J1. And do it this summer.
selkirks
Sesame street
Sesame street

Postby mtnrocker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:03 pm

the town needs to think beyond the mountain if. Stop depending on the forth floor at MMSA for its future .MMSA will not sell it because unfortunately ski areas are not about recreation.They are about selling real estate. MMSA has to much $$$ wrapped up in all of its holdings in Mammoth Lakes...They dont wont to take people[vivsitors away from Mammoth. The owner of Starwood was not even aware that June was part of the deal w/ he bought Mammoth and he was not happy when he found out...his motive for buying Mammoth.....real estate [the complete tearing down of MMSA's mainlodge area] and making a village/condo/retail area up there.....As for June Lake[my home for 14 yrs] look up Leavenworth Washington.....the town is a fishing/camping town first and a ski resort town second....think beyond the mountain.
mtnrocker
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby mtnrocker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:12 pm

According to Bud Hayward[the man that built June] Dave wants nothing to do w/ June......When he bought June in 86 it took him a few yrs to realize that June cannot be successful w/ its proximity to MMSA...and the town is to small.Hence the lack of improvements. Besides that Dave McCoy is running out of gas...hes n his 90s. Nice wishing though. How about making June the PERMANENT home to the Winter x games?...the revenue alone could run the ski area.......and for all you treehuggers.........how about a wind turbine at the top of J7 on the backside toward the Negs where Scotty's shack used to be, its almost always windy there.......there is a ski area in Colorado that has one and it powers the whole ski area.If the 4th floor wants to keep the place closed then thats the business decision they make......Any other smart business owner wouldve done the same thing.
mtnrocker
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby TheElevenJam » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:09 am

I think the marketing should be the exact opposite of what's being suggested here.

June should be marketed as t he party mountain.

A mountain for ski bums not rich custie families from SoCal.
TheElevenJam
Broadway
Broadway

Postby mtnrocker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:13 pm

Hey spiccolli, ease up....partiers dont have money...cept for booze and dope...thats the most lame idea yet...June is hardly a place w/ rich 'custies' compared to Mammoth..
mtnrocker
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby SkierBob » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 pm

I wasn't going to post my two cents in this thread but the time has come;

If I was CEO and the people of June Lake pulled this schit on my business deal..

June Lake people get tough with Mammoth Mountain

http://www.sierrawave.net/23386/june-lake-people/

I'd drag my feet, keep June Closed at least another year, then I'd consider removing all the lifts and return the area to it's natural state, or sell it to some fool who would quickly go out of business without the supporting MMSA revenue.

What kind of person attempts to stifle a business venture that has nothing to do with them in hopes you can strong arm the CEO to keep your ski area open?

The business stifling loopers would be better off supporting the CEO's land swap which would allow MMSA to rebuild main lodge draw more skier visits and make a bit more money to continue to support the operation over in June Lake.
SkierBob
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby ShiftyRider » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:56 pm

a business venture that has nothing to do with them

The proposal is for extremely valuable public land (= yours and mine) to become private. In many of your other posts, you seem to be aware how competent the FS is.
ShiftyRider
Climax
Climax

Postby SnowHeart » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:05 pm

The business stifling loopers would be better off supporting the CEO's land swap which would allow MMSA to rebuild main lodge draw more skier visits and make a bit more money to continue to support the operation over in June Lake.

History already speaks for itself concerning this statement. And even again, recently, MMSA stated publicly that they would not put money into June Mt.
SnowHeart
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby SkierBob » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:22 pm

SnowHeart wrote:

History already speaks for itself concerning this statement. And even again, recently, MMSA stated publicly that they would not put money into June Mt.

What so now they're going to F_ with the CEO's land swap deal? What a bunch of pricks. At that point I think I'd avoid throwing more money at June and keep it closed. Two can play that game; No land swap, no June Mountain!

The forest service makes for a lousy neighbor and even a lousier partner and that’s exactly why Rusty wants the land swap. I don’t support anything the USFS does but I do support growth of private enterprise. I think for most people who appose the land swap the value of the public land in question is nothing more then a valuable tool to reach their own special interests and goals. If it wasn’t for that I wonder how many people would care.

The land swap is good for MMSA. As much as I’d like to see June improved I won’t support holding the land deal hostage to see those improvements. I think the Loopers should just be happy June will be open next season.

Perhaps there is another reason to appose the land swap but that hasn’t been mentioned.
SkierBob
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby ofset » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:13 pm

M2M wrote:offer cat skiing with all this snow,,,

^^this!!!
ofset
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby SkierBob » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:13 am

The land swap deal is pretty shady

Saturday, May 12, 2012
Congressman Buck McKeon who is using taxpayer assets as a bargaining chip to get illegal corporate donations and lots and lots of quasi legal bribes from MMSA executives.

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/2012/05/why-is-house-ethics-committee-taking-so.html

It appears MMSA has been bribing Buck for some time. Perhaps it should be apposed for no other reason then how it's been played. Never the less, if everyone gets what they want the dirty deed is done crooked as hell as it seems.

it will be interesting to see how the blackmailing loopers come into play.
SkierBob
Dragon's Back
Dragon's Back

Postby Jbaysurfer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:58 pm

MMSA is charged with stewarding publicly owned land. That land is not owned by them, it's owned by the public. So if they aren't doing a good job stewarding it in June, I have no problem asking the question of whether they should be given more leeway at Main Lodge. In fact, it's a completely rational question/consideration.
Biker395 wrote:All I can say is that I view the person who founded and grew the company as a hero, and the person that bought it and tore it down as a parasite. And I say that as an avowed capitalist.
Jbaysurfer
Climax
Climax

Postby Photoho » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:31 pm

I understand what you are saying, but I think the swap is to make the land at Main ( or at least across the street ) private
Photoho
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

PreviousNext

Return to June Mountain