Bye Bye June?

Discussions regarding Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling, Cross country, Biking, Golfing, Fishing, Hiking, Climbing, and more, at June Mountain and the surrounding areas

Moderator: JuneGOssip

Re: Bye Bye June?

Postby Sierra Lady » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:20 pm

^ Heh...had to. I LMAO when I read it!! :lol: :y:
Carry chains! :idea:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/
Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby onegoodturn » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Sierra Lady wrote:^ Those ideas would not come into fruition for years! :doh:

Don't be so sure SL...
onegoodturnImagedeserves another
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby ShiftyRider » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:29 am

FWIW the June Mountain Express was subsidized by June Mountain Ski Area.
ShiftyRider
Climax
Climax

Postby onegoodturn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:51 pm

It may have been subsidized by June Mtn. but it wasn't free to ride. It was $5.00 one way from Trout Town Joe's to Mammoth or $5.50 from June Mtn.

The employee shuttle you could always hop on for free if there was room.
onegoodturnImagedeserves another
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby Sierra Lady » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:11 pm

Sheesh, there was some serious mis-quoting in last week's Sheet. Here's the much more positive news:

United, not divided

Majority of June Lake stands together

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby ShiftyRider » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:22 pm

FWIW I think the taxpayers of Mono County should go to these meetings and ask some questions...

1. The June Mountain Express required no taxpayer subsidies in previous years, so why now?
  2. Would its purpose be to help tourists spend the day away from June Lake Village?
  3. If so, who the heck thinks that would help re-open June Mountain?
  4. Where do the skis go on small buses that have never had ski racks?
  5. What is the frequency (= convenience)?
  6. How many more buses will run on Saturday than Sunday? (Remember, a family of skiers with the kids out of school for the weekend is NOT going to check out of their lodging on Sunday morning, go skiing, then return to June.)
  7. Do you think this is free money?
ShiftyRider
Climax
Climax

Postby Sierra Lady » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:12 pm

Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby pkerr » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:30 am

A bit off topic but how does a guy get elected as a Supervisor with a name like "Hap Hazard"? :o
First On - Last Off ...and I really joined Nov. '01
I wasn't born to ski, I was born to work... But then I got layed off.
pkerr
Climax
Climax

Location: Hidden Valley St Louis, MO- 310 really BIG vertical ft

Postby Sierra Lady » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:36 am

His real first name is Duane. He's an ex-Mono County Sheriff deputy.

You'd want a nickname, too with that first name! :D (I say that with all respect since he's a friend!)

Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby BlackHawk1776 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:06 pm

There has GOT to be a good story behind his nickname and how he got it then; while reading some of the June related stories I had to point out to my wife there was a supervisor named Hap Hazard. As for the first name Duane - isn't 'The Rock's' first name Duane? Maybe that is the going trend to get a nickname if your first name is Duane!
I really do sometimes watch grass grow, just for fun. Could be due to spending all summer getting ready to finally plant grass..
BlackHawk1776
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby Jbaysurfer » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:51 pm

“There are two plans being requested, he said. The first is a winter plan, which some have described as the “non-operating plan” but which Gregory described as the “plan for operations in the case of suspended operations.”

LOL...

I think Sup Bauer has a good point that the focus should be reopening June Mountain, but I also think Connie Black of Double Eagle should be commended for her efforts to come up with ideas that make them independent of the mountain as well. At least it seems like people care and are taking part in the process.

Anyone know anything about this?:
Supervisor Vikki Bauer added on Tuesday that MMSA’s first right of refusal on the Rodeo Grounds property expires in March, but Gregory stated that the first right of refusal does not have an expiration date.
Biker395 wrote:All I can say is that I view the person who founded and grew the company as a hero, and the person that bought it and tore it down as a parasite. And I say that as an avowed capitalist.
Jbaysurfer
Climax
Climax

Postby Grumpy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:02 pm

I want to do a pond hockey tournament over on Gull or Silver lakes but no one has gotten back to me.
www.mammothforums.com
Grumpy
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby BlackHawk1776 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:30 pm

Well, since there isn't much hockey being played in the NHL you ought to try and get some local hockey players to play in a charity game of Pond Hockey. I'd bet a lot of those guys have never played on a pond. (Anaheim's arena is no longer even CALLED the pond.)
I really do sometimes watch grass grow, just for fun. Could be due to spending all summer getting ready to finally plant grass..
BlackHawk1776
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby SKIPUNK » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:49 pm

^I'd wager my entire bank account that most of the players in the NHL have played pond hockey. I like your way of thinking Grumpy.
I was addicted to soap....... now I'm clean.
I've never taken a last run : UW
SKIPUNK
Climax
Climax

Postby Sierra Lady » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:37 pm

A Sierra Wave article from 10/5:

June Lake works on improvements for winter

A community survey asked business owners and residents about a shuttle between June Lake and Mammoth Lakes – times and drop off places. Simpson said he and others are in talks with all shuttle companies including Mammoth Mountain Ski Area and Eastern Sierra Transit Authority. He said $20,000 of the funding is earmarked for transit once details are available through the community survey.

^ Well there you go...now get 'er done!

Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

PreviousNext

Return to June Mountain