Bye Bye June?

Discussions regarding Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling, Cross country, Biking, Golfing, Fishing, Hiking, Climbing, and more, at June Mountain and the surrounding areas

Moderator: JuneGOssip

Re: Bye Bye June?

Postby Jbaysurfer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:43 am

The local governments task (one of them) when considering expenditures is to see if it can leverage the investment of taxpayer dollars for maximum economic benefit. If funding a bus encourages the corporation of this corporate town to offer up an economic benefit to local lodging establishments (discounted lift tickets) then it's an idea with merit that might be worth the investment.
Biker395 wrote:All I can say is that I view the person who founded and grew the company as a hero, and the person that bought it and tore it down as a parasite. And I say that as an avowed capitalist.
Jbaysurfer
Climax
Climax

Postby Jbaysurfer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:35 am

Just read the link that SL posted. I'm somewhat surprised that the community can't come together in an effort to invest the money the county has granted them in a meaningful way. PR firms and lights? 70k for PR? How much does a full page add in the sunday LA times cost? A billboard or two on the highways? And the idea of letting 30k go away because of a lack of agreement in how to spend them? Seriously. If your pet project doesn't get picked, don't let 30k walk away because of it. SMH.

Tough times. +++++vibes JLV, think INVESTMENT for that money. IE...use it to make NEW money in an ongoing way.
Biker395 wrote:All I can say is that I view the person who founded and grew the company as a hero, and the person that bought it and tore it down as a parasite. And I say that as an avowed capitalist.
Jbaysurfer
Climax
Climax

Postby SnowHeart » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:58 am

Christmas lights are nice, but I fail to see why County money should be used for that. Most businesses already put lights up for the holidays. I think its cool to see what each individual business owner or homeowner designs for themselves in the way of lighting and Christmas/holiday decor.

I feel really bad to hear that transit and finding a buyer for June Mt have been taken off the list. To me those were the most important things that needed to be accomplished, along with the right type of advertising. June Lake is a beautiful "winter wonderland" skiing or no skiing.
SnowHeart
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby ShiftyRider » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:14 am

How big a shuttle bus are all y'all voting for?

And what kind of frequency, every 15 minutes like what the same tourist family would have access to if they stayed in Mammoth???

...sorry, but a free dispensary would probably cost the taxpayers less...

P.S. link
ShiftyRider
Climax
Climax

Postby tufouer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:25 am

Someone needs to get a 4x4 van and start a shuttle service from June to Mammoth. Leave once in the morning to Mammoth and return to June once after skiing is over. Problem solved.
tufouer
Broadway
Broadway

Postby Sierra Lady » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:48 am

ESTA (Eastern Sierra Transit Authority) had a similar route to and from June and Mammoth for the last several years...it was called the June Mountain Express.

Why can't the June Advisory Committee negotiate and subsidize that route again with ESTA and simply reinstate that route? They already have the vans, drivers, insurance, etc. :?
Carry chains! :idea:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/
Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby ospreywatcher » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:33 am

Why can't the June Advisory Committee negotiate and subsidize that route again with ESTA and simply reinstate that route? They already have the vans, drivers, insurance, etc.

Have you ever sat in on one of those meetings? Lots of passion and not much logic.

Maybe the hotel owners can negotiate something with ESTA.
ospreywatcher
Broadway
Broadway

Postby PerfectZero » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:37 pm

haha hire a PR firm.

Clearly June needs to take a hint from Mammoth and use the 100k to build a large welcome sign that stirringly mimics the majesty of the surroundings.
The higher you get, the higher you get.
PerfectZero
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

Postby onegoodturn » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:37 pm

PerfectZero wrote:haha hire a PR firm.

Clearly June needs to take a hint from Mammoth and use the 100k to build a large welcome sign that stirringly mimics the majesty of the surroundings.

A big June SUX sign as soon as you turn onto the 158...

Really though, a shuttle is needed and if it's once a day or more it needs to become a priority.
onegoodturnImagedeserves another
onegoodturn
Kiwi Flat
Kiwi Flat

Postby Snow D » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Im buying the g-damn mountain, I just need some seed money... For craps sake MMSA just keep it open... I was kidding about the "im buying" part but I am spending more money and time there and trying to figure out a way to expand my businesses over to there to contribute to the JL system... Closing the ski area does not help anything... leave it open and market it for f sake..
Hmmmmmm, need something clever…. oh well, screw it.
Snow D
Cornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Postby Jbaysurfer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Sierra Lady wrote:ESTA (Eastern Sierra Transit Authority) had a similar route to and from June and Mammoth for the last several years...it was called the June Mountain Express.

Why can't the June Advisory Committee negotiate and subsidize that route again with ESTA and simply reinstate that route? They already have the vans, drivers, insurance, etc. :?

LOL...wow. Simple. Occam's razor.
Jbaysurfer
Climax
Climax

Postby Sierra Lady » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:55 pm

^ Thanks. It's not rocket science. :roll:

"And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way." ;) - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby BlackHawk1776 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:55 pm

I like diet Dr. Pepper, but if I was starving I'm pretty sure it wouldn't help much. It's a shame to hear about fighting; hopefully they can work it out and not lose the money. The other issue is the basics of ANY time you spend money; it ALWAYS costs more than you expect, so they could start by apportioning slightly more to whatever the existing uses are.

Since there are a few different 'ideas' they seem to have (I wasn't there) I wonder if each 'camp' was tasked with getting the info needed to propel that idea; IE: the people suggesting snow play, were they tasked with finding a few workable spots or the same for cross country skiing.

It's nice to hear updates, hopefully some real 'positive' updates will come in the future.
I really do sometimes watch grass grow, just for fun. Could be due to spending all summer getting ready to finally plant grass..
BlackHawk1776
Stump Alley
Stump Alley

Postby Sierra Lady » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:59 pm

^ Keep in mind that no matter what the advisory committee comes up with as far as ideas for a snow play area or cross country trails, first and foremost those must go through environmental processes and then be approved by the USFS. Those ideas would not come into fruition for years! :doh:

Sierra Lady
Rodger's Ridge

Postby PerfectZero » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Aww I'm flattered to be signature quoted! :y:
The higher you get, the higher you get.
PerfectZero
Dave's Run
Dave's Run

PreviousNext

Return to June Mountain